Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEW iOptron CEM40 Debut

Jkulin

• 3 weeks later...

They do look nice and would make a nice upgrade to my CEM25P. But the price is so close to the CEM60. I can’t help but think that would be the better long term investment. Although I suspect the price is currently at ‘early adopter’ level and might come down a bit in the future. 

On 01/04/2019 at 23:22, JimothyC said:

But the price is so close to the CEM60. I can’t help but think that would be the better long term investment. 

Yeah this was bugging me too, looking at early UK ££ numbers. I think there might be some confusion as to which package of the CEM40 is being priced. There are different codes for head alone without ipolar or much else, and other packages including various other bits, even before you get to the EC stuff. It's not clear to me that one can do a like with like comparison yet, though I do agree there is likely an early adopter premium. 

• 4 weeks later...

What i really like about the CEM40's are the two things:

1) The quick-lock gear clutches. These look, feel and i suppose work better when compared to the CEM60 family.

2) The integrated iPolar

Not sure if iOptron are thinking of integrating both of these in to their newer batch?

5 minutes ago, souls33k3r said:

Not sure if iOptron are thinking of integrating both of these in to their newer batch?

We only know the CEM40 is the first of iOptron's "next generation design" mounts ? 

Steve

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FLO said:

We only know the CEM40 is the first of iOptron's "next generation design" ? 

Steve

Cheers Steve.

CEM60 design has (do correct me if i'm wrong) been the same ever since it launched so i think it makes proper sense to give it just that slight upgrade that will put it in the "next generation" bracket :)

10 hours ago, souls33k3r said:

Cheers Steve.

CEM60 design has (do correct me if i'm wrong) been the same ever since it launched so i think it makes proper sense to give it just that slight upgrade that will put it in the "next generation" bracket :)

Likely, the ieq45 pro went on sale for like 2 years before the CEM40 launch and it was discontinued. The CEM60 is now on sale so maybe it'll get upgraded. However, given where it is right now don't expect too much of a change with CEM60 in terms of performance. So for me I was happy to buy the current CEM60EC at a discount. Maybe next generation the EC gets better but right now it does everything I need of it. If anything I'll wait for generation 3 before upgrading again :).

Edited by cotak

15 hours ago, cotak said:

The CEM60 is now on sale

Sale ? Those prices are the same since 2 years I am looking at them 

?

Wait until the CEM 90 comes out ? in plain vanilla, EC or EC2 version all machined out of an Aluminum Block (not that ugly and flimsy  ? Aluminum/Magnesium injection molded parts) ?

Edited by Rainer

19 minutes ago, Rainer said:

Sale ? Those prices are the same since 2 years I am looking at them 

?

We are not aware of a Sale either but @cotak is posting from Canada. Perhaps things are different over there. 

Steve 

Well they have marked it as sale for a while, which is what they did for ieq45 pro as well before being discontinued. The CEM60 now is the odd man out in the CEM line with the old screw worm mechanism and magnets. Doesn't seem a great leap for them to update it to be the same as the rest of the family and finally add in USB3.

12 hours ago, cotak said:

Well they have marked it as sale for a while, which is what they did for ieq45 pro as well before being discontinued. The CEM60 now is the odd man out in the CEM line with the old screw worm mechanism and magnets. Doesn't seem a great leap for them to update it to be the same as the rest of the family and finally add in USB3.

What is the difference between the CEM60 and the rest of the models you refer to? Does that difference impact guiding accuracy, backlash etc?

The worm dis/engagement mechanism is the most rudimentary. It uses a screw knob that lets you lifts, locks, or float the worm. Since it's not a on or off setting for the knob some people gets confused. The goal is to float the worm so the screw is not pushing on it or lifting it, and let the magnets do their jobs keeping the worm on the wheel.

The newest models refined the cem25 model and have a toggle switch that lifts or drops the worm. On the cem120 there is even an additional axis locking switch.  While the cem25 has the spring tension adjustment exposed for user to adjust, the new models have adjustments that is not supposed to be touched other than for tuning.

Edited by cotak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cotak said:

The worm dis/engagement mechanism is the most rudimentary. It uses a screw knob that lets you lifts, locks, or float the worm. Since it's not a on or off setting for the knob some people gets confused. The goal is to float the worm so the screw is not pushing on it or lifting it, and let the magnets do their jobs keeping the worm on the wheel.

The newest models refined the cem25 model and have a toggle switch that lifts or drops the worm. On the cem120 there is even an additional axis locking switch.  While the cem25 has the spring tension adjustment exposed for user to adjust, the new models have adjustments that is not supposed to be touched other than for tuning.

Couldn't agree more. I'm glad that the CEM40 has that but they really should introduce this in the CEM60 line

Well it works well and if it isn't broken what's to fix right?

Still I suspect they'll end up doing it and give the finish the stainless and CNC treatment as well when they update. That would be to gain more market share in NA where there seems to be an irrational preference for CNC and bling being mistaken as signs of quality. 

Edited by cotak
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Palantir said:

Does the EC version work with a guide scope or do the fight each other?  Also do you need EC if you have good guiding ?

Hi Palantir,

Encoders do make guding more comfortable. 

Guiding and ecnoder only fight each other if the guide frequency is too often. I ahce CEM 120EC2 mounts and my guiding frequency lately went up to 15 seconds a guide command not more often.

If you have encoder then you only guide for drift in RA and DEC due to Polar alignment and atmosferic refraction errors.

Rainer