SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Iwamoto- success stories?

57 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I have just spotted the faintest of hazy blotches in my Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars in exactly the right spot according to the map. I will check if it moves. I think this comet needs a large exit pupil and dark skies rather than a big aperture.

Lucky you... saw nothing. It was a perfect night as well. Clear, dark and moon-less. I looked in the right spot for sure...but now, i claim defeat. I think my limited telescope time would be better suited to seeing more interesting things anyway...You win this round cosmos!

Cheers

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, MKHACHFE said:

Lucky you... saw nothing. It was a perfect night as well. Clear, dark and moon-less. I looked in the right spot for sure...but now, i claim defeat. I think my limited telescope time would be better suited to seeing more interesting things anyway...You win this round cosmos!

Cheers

Actually, I just had another look, and the hazy patch has stayed put, and prolonged observation in averted vision suggests it is a patch of stars at the edge of vision. Too bad. I will drag out the big scope tomorrow, weather permitting

Seen it twice, Saturday night in a 12 inch dob and Sunday evening in my 5 inch ED125. Both times was exactly where Sky Safari marked it in the app. 

Very, very faint, but visible with direct vision. Used a 24mm Panoptic and the 9mm Nagler, better in the Panoptic with other stars around for context.

Both times seen from Seething which has decent, dark skies.

Chris

3 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

GOT IT! I drove a few km to Aduarderzijl, where the skies are much darker. The comet was easy in my Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars, with a clear hint of tail. Very pleased with my 23rd comet.

Well done. Combination of large exit pupil and dark skies?

31 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Well done. Combination of large exit pupil and dark skies?

Absolutely! I was considering chucking the C8 in the car, but opted for the wider field and exit pupil of the binoculars. he skies were so clear that M44 was an easy naked-eye object, and M101 trivial in the binoculars. I will post a fuller report later.

I found the comet again this evening at an outreach event at my society observatory. I was using my ED120 refractor with a 30mm Aero ED eyepiece to find it. I then used a zoom to boost the magnification a touch and make the comet a little easier to pick out against the background sky. It was quite a faint object though. No one else there this evening could see it !

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

GOT IT! I drove a few km to Aduarderzijl, where the skies are much darker. The comet was easy in my Helios LightQuest 16x80 binoculars, with a clear hint of tail. Very pleased with my 23rd comet.

Kudos to you buddy. ?

24 minutes ago, John said:

I found the comet again this evening at an outreach event at my society observatory. I was using my ED120 refractor with a 30mm Aero ED eyepiece to find it. I then used a zoom to boost the magnification a touch and make the comet a little easier to pick out against the background sky. It was quite a faint object though. No one else there this evening could see it !

Kudos to you too matey...sorry. I didn't mean to exclude you when praising  michael.h.f.wilkinson above. ?

Cheers

The most diffuse smudge I think I've ever seen in a telescope tonight! - comet Y1.  After some messier confusion in 3.5 deg. field, I located it just, in a lovely star field between M36 and M38.  Although completely overshadowed by those clusters and the nearby M37.  In the ST80 at 30x, not seen at 15x under good skies.

andrew

Last Iwamoto shot from imaging session on Tuesday, with frame size at approx 72'x 52' arc.  Comet gliding through the starfields of Auriga in the following days, so this is why the weather went pear-shaped!

Les

IMG_6074 Y1 Iwamoto-resize.jpg

59 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Last Iwamoto shot from imaging session on Tuesday, with frame size at approx 72'x 52' arc.  Comet gliding through the starfields of Auriga in the following days, so this is why the weather went pear-shaped!

Les

IMG_6074 Y1 Iwamoto-resize.jpg

Nice! ?

Archived