Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

180 mm mak better than 8" newtonian on double stars?

markclaire50

On double stars, yes the mak-cassegain is a better tool than a newtonian in my opinion. The star images are generally crisper and better defined which helps get clearer splits of both equal and unequal brightness doubles.

33 minutes ago, John said:

On double stars, yes the mak-cassegain is a better tool than a newtonian in my opinion. The star images are generally crisper and better defined which helps get clearer splits of both equal and unequal brightness doubles.

Thanks John 

42 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi

Have you split sirius? 

Oh no the pup has eluded me, both times I’ve tried seeing was not the greatest, I brought up an orbital chart to make sure I was looking in the right spot. Problem was Sirius was shimmering too much, I will say this, if seeing is good, I’m confident I can split it, I WILL SPLIT THE PUP!!!

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Oh no the pup has eluded me, both times I’ve tried seeing was not the greatest, I brought up an orbital chart to make sure I was looking in the right spot. Problem was Sirius was shimmering too much, I will say this, if seeing is good, I’m confident I can split it, I WILL SPLIT THE PUP!!!

Do you think a 180mm mak could do it? 

23 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

Do you think a 180mm mak could do it? 

A good 4-5 inch frac will do it assuming you know where to look and seeing conditions are good to great, I couldn’t see why a 180 Mak wouldn’t. I would not attempt it in my 150 if I didn’t know I could, it’s no easy task but, now is the best time because if it’s distance. Doubles, lunar, planetary are a strong points for Mak’s don’t expect to point it at Sirius and spot the dog easily though, I’ve had two attempts but both times atmosphere conditions were just not good enough. I would bet my scope that on a good night I could do it. SEEING IS EVERYTHING!  when splitting Sirius.

Update: here is the first article i read about splitting sirius, good one.

https://florin.myip.org/blog/how-see-sirius-b

Good advice above :smiley:

Potentially a 4 inch refractor can split Sirius but there are a number of other variables that affect whether it can actually be done:

- seeing conditions

- observer experience

- scope cooling / collimation

- scope optics diffraction

- eyepiece quality

I tried for years with many scopes from 4 to 10 inches in aperture and of a whole raft of different designs before I managed to see the Pup star. I suspect my lattitude is quite a lot to do with the extent of the challenge.

6 minutes ago, John said:

Good advice above :smiley:

Potentially a 4 inch refractor can split Sirius but there are a number of other variables that affect whether it can actually be done:

- seeing conditions

- observer experience

- scope cooling / collimation

- scope optics diffraction

- eyepiece quality

I tried for years with many scopes from 4 to 10 inches in aperture and of a whole raft of different designs before I managed to see the Pup star. I suspect my lattitude is quite a lot to do with the extent of the challenge.

Hi John 

I've recently ordered a 10mm BCO from FLO, on basis of a review I read about how good it was (a review by yourself actually ?). From your and other reviews, I believe this eyepiece may I crease my chances of seeing the pup and E and f stars. Note, I use the word "increase". Having tried with a 6 mm altair wave LER, with and without barlow and a baader zoom mkiv, on my 127mm mak, I am under no illusion now about how hard the pup will be. But I'm hoping a tighter star image and apparently its ability to pull out dimmer stars will help. The 180mm mak is becoming more attractive all the time. I've read superb reviews about it for jupiter and it's moons, but also doubles and lunar. I've even seen dso photos that aren't too bad either. Although I have an 80ed ready for AP. Just need to get an heq5. And an imaging camera ( if I can justify that cost!!) and guidescope and..... wish I could win the lottery! 

19 minutes ago, markclaire50 said:

I've read superb reviews about it for jupiter and it's moons, but also doubles and lunar

Once equalized and, on a night of good seeing, i was floored by the views of Saturn, the moon, Jupiter, and i'm not just pumping up my own scope to justify my buying it, i mean it. Most nights this past summer, during the great planetary parade of 2018, i had the greatest time with my 150 Mak, Jupiter revealed vivid, sharp cloud bands and festooning, GRS looked like it popped brilliantly and, Cassini's division looked like it was cut out of the rings with a scalpel. The moon is superb most nights also.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, khingdheano said:

Have seen the Pup many times with my SW 180 Mak. I'm 32 degrees N, so Sirius is better placed for viewing for me than in the UK.

Hi. Yes, I think the flashing of sirius makes it a nightmare in the UK. I was wondering about a 180mm mak but now a touch of aperture fever has me hallucinating about a C9.25. Presumably do you think it would be able to match the mak? 

Thanks 

Mark 

20 hours ago, markclaire50 said:

Hi. Yes, I think the flashing of sirius makes it a nightmare in the UK. I was wondering about a 180mm mak but now a touch of aperture fever has me hallucinating about a C9.25. Presumably do you think it would be able to match the mak? 

Thanks 

Mark 

I've never looked through a 9.25, but I'm sure it would do it, since I have also seen the Pup with my C8.

I have a SW Mak 180, and can easily split both pairs in Epsilon Lyrae, one of which is around 1.0" 2.3" separated I believe. Eps Lyrae is one of my go-to objects when I can get that scope out.

Cheers, Magnus

Edit: they're each separated by 2.4ish seconds not 1 as i originally wrote .... so not as stringent as the 0.7" test

Archived