Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion with 35mm, now with RGB

As my previous thread, but with 24 x 30 sec each RGB. HII added to R, then trichromy, DDP and Histogram Stretch. Cropped slightly to take out the alignment edges.509078301_CroppedHRGB.thumb.jpg.cd16ade0e0e3901ad488ae70e0c28847.jpg

There are diffraction spikes from the diaphragm blades, as the RGB was shot at f/4, and a huge spike due to a power / telephone cable that I hadn't spotted. Bother.

Next time I'll shoot more wide open, put the exposure up to 60 secs each, and avoid that blasted cable.

Just now, DaveS said:

OK Grant, just for you :grin:

1212337087_CroppedHRGB.thumb.jpg.94038c293c0ccd2dfeb7e1cc5aca2498.jpg

Wow, even better! Thanks Dave ?

I have a soft spot for this FOV (can you tell?) - it's on my bucket list to get the whole of Orion into a mosaic with this sort of level of detail.

TBH, I've not done anything special. Sigma stack in AA5, then gradient removal.

Alignment and Trichromy with ratios and WB set to auto.

DDP and two rounds of Histogram Stretch, finally cropping off the alignment edges, JPEG with compression set to 10%

OK, Leica lenses have something of a legendary quality, but the Elmarit R is as near "bog-standard" as Leica gets.

15 minutes ago, DaveS said:

TBH, I've not done anything special. Sigma stack in AA5, then gradient removal.

Alignment and Trichromy with ratios and WB set to auto.

DDP and two rounds of Histogram Stretch, finally cropping off the alignment edges, JPEG with compression set to 10%

OK, Leica lenses have something of a legendary quality, but the Elmarit R is as near "bog-standard" as Leica gets.

Hi Dave just popped over from the weather site as you pointed me here. Great image, I want one like that. More info please you mentioned the Elmarit lens, what did you have this attached to? Thanks Alec

24 minutes ago, alcol620 said:

Hi Dave just popped over from the weather site as you pointed me here. Great image, I want one like that. More info please you mentioned the Elmarit lens, what did you have this attached to? Thanks Alec

The Elmarit series are Leica's middle range of f/2.8 lenses. Unfortunately they've become popular with film-makers (It's why I bought a shed-load a few years ago), so are becoming thin on the ground, and more pricey than they were. Have a look here

Ffordes

I use a Leica to Canon adaptor, and ZWO's Canon to M42 adaptor

Pentax M42 screw lenses are often pretty good. I want to get a Pentax-Canon and put my radioactive 35 f/2 on the ASI1600.

29 minutes ago, alcol620 said:

Dave, me again. Looked at your other post, you mentioned the ASI1600, if this is so, can you point me to the adapter used to fit the camera. I have a ZWO adapter for a Canon camera, presumably yet ANOTHER adapter is required? Thanks Alec

Yes. I had a heap of Leica to Canon adaptors from film making, so used one for this. Be careful though, ZWO's QC is a bit dodgy, so I can't get it off again. Will have to buy another adaptor.

2 hours ago, Grant said:

Any plans to get the 'arms'? With the level of details and colours in this shot, if you could get the rest of the constellation to add in, that would be mighty impressive...

I didn't at first, but I'll give it some thought. I also have a few wider lenses, 28, 21 Leitz, and a 20 mm Zeiss.

I want to get more data on this first, as this is a bit thin ATM.

Archived