Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Olympus 10x50 dpsi praise

mark81

When I got my Olympus bins I had also been given my ST80 and so they got put to the side until the summer where the skies are not as dark and you cant get as much out of them.

Last night was cold and very dry - perfect conditions so out I went with them and a cheap, very old pair of 10x50 Tascos as comparison.  Orion stood perfectly in the South and I pointed the Tascos at Orions belt.... 16 stars counted.  When I switched to the Olympus I was really taken by surprise as the entire FOV was smothered in stars - too many to count.  I naturally moved down to the Orion Nebula and this really was a WOW moment - this was the best view of the Nebula I have ever had.  It beat that of the ST80 hands down - the clarity was quite amazing.  I reluctantly swapped to the Tascos and the difference was obvious.  I had been thinking earlier that evening about some of the other threads here about Charity Shop Binos - yes you can find great pairs at great prices but generally they are going to have some age to them, the optics are not going to be up to more modern standards - the coatings, the pisms etc....

and the threads about cheaper telescope setups and grab and go setups on a budget and all the while you can pick up a good pair of 10x50s for well under £100  I think these Olympus are just £65 at the moment and even the Helios Naturesport are £85...

I could ramble on about these and I know its not groundbreakng news but I had to say how good these things really are.....

The great thing about bins is their convenience and "immediacy" - just whip them out and start observing.

And of course a wide field of view. And also, any size of binoculars will benefit from a light tripod or monopod view. When completely static, the view is mesmerising under skies such as some of us enjoyed last night.

I had an early start for work last night and got lovely "scope hour" in from 7-8pm..Then just before bed at 10ish I popped into the garden for 7 or 8 minutes and checked out a few clusters in Canis Major and Auriga - my old Zomz 8x30s gave very pleasant views and a nice end to the evening..?

Dave

On 29/01/2019 at 11:54, mark81 said:

When I got my Olympus bins I had also been given my ST80 and so they got put to the side until the summer where the skies are not as dark and you cant get as much out of them.

Last night was cold and very dry - perfect conditions so out I went with them and a cheap, very old pair of 10x50 Tascos as comparison.  Orion stood perfectly in the South and I pointed the Tascos at Orions belt.... 16 stars counted.  When I switched to the Olympus I was really taken by surprise as the entire FOV was smothered in stars - too many to count.  I naturally moved down to the Orion Nebula and this really was a WOW moment - this was the best view of the Nebula I have ever had.  It beat that of the ST80 hands down - the clarity was quite amazing.  I reluctantly swapped to the Tascos and the difference was obvious.  I had been thinking earlier that evening about some of the other threads here about Charity Shop Binos - yes you can find great pairs at great prices but generally they are going to have some age to them, the optics are not going to be up to more modern standards - the coatings, the pisms etc....

and the threads about cheaper telescope setups and grab and go setups on a budget and all the while you can pick up a good pair of 10x50s for well under £100  I think these Olympus are just £65 at the moment and even the Helios Naturesport are £85...

I could ramble on about these and I know its not groundbreakng news but I had to say how good these things really are.....

Hi Mark, 

I also bought myself a pair of these and I must agree with you that they are fantastic. Pin sharp and very bright. Great build quality and very solid. I've yet to mount them on  my tripod, but I will be giving that a go when I'm next out. I've got high expectations! 

After realising the quality and silly low price - I went and bought the 8x40's as well. I mean, how far wrong can you go for £50?

Cheers, 

Mark. 

4 minutes ago, MaHa said:

Hi Mark, 

I also bought myself a pair of these and I must agree with you that they are fantastic. Pin sharp and very bright. Great build quality and very solid. I've yet to mount them on  my tripod, but I will be giving that a go when I'm next out. I've got high expectations! 

After realising the quality and silly low price - I went and bought the 8x40's as well. I mean, how far wrong can you go for £50?

Cheers, 

Mark. 

Mark,

I'd be interested to know how the two compare..  for daytime use too.

I haven't tripod mounted them yet and although they are only 10x individual stars do jump around a little..

Mark

11 minutes ago, mark81 said:

Mark,

I'd be interested to know how the two compare..  for daytime use too.

I haven't tripod mounted them yet and although they are only 10x individual stars do jump around a little..

Mark

I believe 10x's benefit greatly from being mounted Mark, and that the extra stability improves the resolution no end. 

I will try and compare the two sometime soon, and also throw in a comparison with my Opticron Adventurer T WP's in 10x50.

Cheers, 

Mark. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had the Olympus Trooper 10x50 for a while, but replaced them with Bushnell Legacy 10x50. I think I payed 40% more for the Bushnells (20% of it because they were over the $75 tax limit while Olympus were below), but for that extra money I got BaK4 prisms vs BK7, multi-coated lenses, water resistance and longer eye relief (I don't wear glasses but it does help to prevent binoculars from from fogging on cold nights). I sold Olympus before buying Bushnells so I didn't do direct comparison. From what I remember both are equally comfortable to use, in terms of aberrations they seem roughly the same - both sharp over about 50% of the FoV diameter with stars turning into faint fuzzies at the very edge (par for the course for the price, Nikon Action EX 7x35 are about the same in that aspect as well). Bushnells do have better light transmittion, but not by much. I can only tell because I compared both side by side to Nikon Action EX 7x35. Olympus were very close in what I could detect to Nikons, with Bushnells the difference is more noticeable, but not hugely so.

Archived