NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Canon 2x extender

Tuda78

This maybe a silly question but I have ordered a Canon 2x extender to use with my lenses for daytime photography and I was wondering if I use it with my telescope will it double the focal length just the same as if it were used on a lens?

Stephen.

I very much doubt that you will be able to attach it to your telescope and even then it is unlikely to work.

You could buy a barlow lens to increase the magnification of each of the lenses you use in it if you are after greater magnification.

1 hour ago, Tuda78 said:

This maybe a silly question but I have ordered a Canon 2x extender to use with my lenses for daytime photography and I was wondering if I use it with my telescope will it double the focal length just the same as if it were used on a lens?

Stephen.

You could probably fit it to your scope using T adapters but doubt if it will work optically.

Be aware that Canon 2X telextender doesn't auto focus with some camera lens combo's, the 1.4X seems to work with all combo's

Dave

• Like 1

Interesting, I think the Canon TC is very much like a powermate in that it should be vastly superior to any barlow lens, I do not know however if using one without a lens would produce an error code (easy to try out), I have found this old thread that may help.

This is something I must try myself with my Kenko version .

I think the method of connection is to fit the TC to the camera as normal then use a EOS to T adapter fitting into the Teleconvertor you then would need the standard kit for fitting into the focus tube etc, you will need a two inch extension in there too.

Alan

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1

The 2x extender should be delivered tomorrow so i will try it out and let you all know if it works. If it doesnt work nothings lost because I didnt buy it for use with the telescope, just thought it would be handy if it does.

Stephen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tuda78 said:

The 2x extender should be delivered tomorrow so i will try it out and let you all know if it works. If it doesnt work nothings lost because I didnt buy it for use with the telescope, just thought it would be handy if it does.

Stephen

I have the 2x extender and I can’t see why, with the correct spacing, it wouldn’t work as a Barlow. The proper canon ones are really nicely made. 

Be interested in hearing how you get on as if it works I try it myself :) 

Well the extender arrived this morning and unfortunately doesn't appear to work with the telescope. I have the extender attached the camera and then my T ring onto the extender. The camera switches on, I can focus the camera but when I take a picture I get an error code and a message telling me to check the lens contacts. Looks like Ill just be using it with lenses.

Edited by Tuda78

3 hours ago, Tuda78 said:

Well the extender arrived this morning and unfortunately doesn't appear to work with the telescope. I have the extender attached the camera and then my T ring onto the extender. The camera switches on, I can focus the camera but when I take a picture I get an error code and a message telling me to check the lens contacts. Looks like Ill just be using it with lenses.

It might still work if shooting in video mode which could be handy for Luna or Planets.. 

Alan

Edited by Alien 13

3 hours ago, Tuda78 said:

I am going to try mine between an Astro cam and a scope as a 2x focal length extender. 

• 11 months later...