Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pre-first light. Action EX 10x50

Saraneth

And they arrived. First thing I notice is how large and heavy they are. I mean, I knew how large and heavy they were going to be but seeing them and holding them is another story. The quality just feels incredible. So far from the tiny $20 toy binos I have bought in the past.

I gave them a little blast outside before and it was amazing how far away I could see detail. Was watching a bird that was almost hard to see with naked eye. Seeing tiny specs of birds that were impossible to see with the naked eye. Watching planes fly overhead and being able to read the logo on them. Looking at the mountains (about 100km away) and being able to make out details that would otherwise be lost. Looking at the sun and seeing nothing ever again... ok that last one was a lie. ? I am impressed with them!

Now I am just gonna wait for night-time to give them their first proper use. It's 11am at the moment. About 10 hours to go.

In the end I didn't get that monopod. I instead bought a cheap tripod. This one here. https://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/camera-accessories/tripods/listing-1920821001.htm?rsqid=96e66952c43845ee9531473afceba88d

Once that arrives I'll see how it goes.

Yeh the Nikon Actions are a tad bigger and heavier than some other brands but i do think it adds to the overall feel of quality in them 

after using them handheld under the stars or looking at moon you really will notice a diference when tripod/monopod mounted 

enjoy em mate  i really enjoy my Actions ?

Well last night was alright. I was not prepared for the shakiness. After looking around during the day yesterday I figured it's not that bad. Yeah... when looking at single points of light it's a who different story. Guess I had to learn that for myself :)

Anyway few things I got to see. Luckily just after dark the moon was coming up on the horizon. It was huge and orange. Looked amazing even without the binos but with them I could see so much. See hills and craters around the circumference which made it look bumpy. Was so bright too.

I got some good views of the southern cross and swear I could almost make out more that one of the stars in Alpha Crucis. Might be wrong there though.

Got a good look at Aldebaran, Betelgeuse, Sirius, Procyon and the Great Orion Nebula. Definitely could see some double stars there.

I also got a good look at what I believe was Southern Pleiades open star cluster. Was brilliant. Almost impossible to make out with the naked eye with the light pollution and I just found it by chance while scanning the sky.

I live in the city so it is quite hard to find a lot of things. Cannot make out the Magellanic Clouds. Once you leave the city even like 10mins out you can then see them, so I will take a look in the next few days.

My tripod and tripod adapter arrived today so will get some better viewing done tonight. Tripod can get taller than me so it works well even for things almost directly up.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should look out for tonight? I'm in New Zealand.

I didn't even know what any of those things I viewed last night were called until I searched them up while viewing. It's feels good to slowly learn the names.

Nice report. That's the way to learn things. 

You will find things much easier with the tripod, although there is a reasonable area directly above you (zenith) that you physically can't get to with a standard camera teipod. I'm looking to fashion a DIY counterweight arm so that I can mount the binoculars to one side and am not restricted (plenty of different examples on the web). The only problem is that it is job nr 127 on my list (and that is just astro jobs!) 

I look forward to your report of the LMC. I hope to see it myself one day... 

19 minutes ago, adyj1 said:

I look forward to your report of the LMC. I hope to see it myself one day... 

Not just the LMC. Can also make out the SMC once you get about 20-30mins out of the city.
I too am looking forward to it :D

I just missed out on being able to see
Andromeda by a month. Need to wait until about October now and then it is only in the sky for a few hours far to the north.

Congratulations on your new bino. There are quite a few interesting objects to see from the southern hemisphere including Canopus, Alpha Centauri, Antares, 145 Canis Majoris and a cluster of galaxies between Leo and Virgo. I'm not too familiar with observing from the south so if you can't split Alpha Centauri A, B and proxima, don't blame me. ;)

15 hours ago, Saraneth said:

And after a hot sunny cloudless day it is now p**sing down with rain. Guess I won't be doing any viewing tonight. :BangHead:

Now this is a quote from an astronomer if ever I've seen one! Join the club - you'll be having that thought a lot from now on.

I notice you mentioned shakiness earlier. That will get better with practice, but there is good advice on stabilising them on Steve Tonkin's site (www.binocularsky.com). Plenty on tripods and monopods, and a great section on different techniques for holding them by hand.

Best of luck.

Billy.

Steve Tonkins monopod, ball head and reclining seat advice is very good. I had a big tripod never found it much use for objects high up. By sliding about in the reclining seat you can access a lot of the sky, even the zenith as you can poke the monopod base in the ground by your feet.  Lighter and cheaper than a tripod too. Enjoy those skies you have access to!

PEter

13 hours ago, billyharris72 said:

Now this is a quote from an astronomer if ever I've seen one! Join the club - you'll be having that thought a lot from now on.

That is so true. Happened again today. Hot and sunny all day then a few hours before sunset along came the clouds and rain.

I'm starting to think that bringing astronomers into town when there is a drought is a real good solution...

4th night. Same story.
There are gaps in the clouds tonight, so I go as much viewing as I could. Lots of stars in the dark patches between the clouds that cannot be seen with the naked eye.

Saw several dim satellites. Moving real fast. Satellites that used to be invisible for me.

The next week is supposed to be extremely hot, so should get some good clear nights soon.

Archived