Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Nikon binos should I get? Beginner.

Saraneth

Hello. I am currently thinking about saving up to buy a 10" dob as my first telescope. Seems exciting but is going to take quite a while. I have been told I should get some good binoculars in the meantime, so I can begin exploring the sky now and keep the passion alive. Problem is I have absolutely no experience when it comes to binoculars just like the telescopes. I have spent the last 3-4 days searching and checking out a lot of different ones. I have finally come to the (possible) final 3 I am trying to choose from and need some experienced help to decide which will be best.

All 3 are Nikon Aculons. I am looking at the 8x42, 10x42 and 10x50. I have looked at cheaper options but I feel if I am gonna invest I should get at least above average quality. These are about the most expensive I feel comfortable buying.

Does anyone have any advice they could give or any opinions on which I should choose?

Thank :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You probably wouldn't regret buying any one of the three choices.....but you would probably have "fewer" regrets buying the 10x50s if you had any regrets at all.....especially if you have a good sturdy tripod to mount them on.

Klitwo

P.S. If at all possible...try before you buy.  Your decision...your choice.

I prefer 8x40's for their wider field of view, over the two other binoculars I have displayed, I can just see more of the sky with them, plus they're just as good during the day.

I  have a choice, and  it's the 8x40's that get used the most. My 15x70's are mounted to the tripod, but always with the 8x40's  in hand.
Sometimes just the 8x40's are used, mounted.

I have a good pair of 10x50's that never see daylight? I bought the Marine 10x50's for use when out in the car,  and they've been there ever since I bought them, but on several occasions, the 8x40's were still in hand, forgetting that  the 10x50's are in the boot!
My 10x50's  were specifically  bought for that purpose alone, rugged, hardwearing, and kept in the car, fully protected in their  foam filled flight case, which in turn is secured to the car itself?

If you had all three Nikons on the table, during a session, Its my opinion that you would like the 8x42's yet buy the 10x50's as is quite often the normal recommendation? The 8x42's may appear a tad brighter over the 10x50's, but its possibly too close to notice, depending on the size of exit pupil you need, and the ability of your eye, but the 10x50's see further with their extra 2x mag, if your eyes can detect that on the Stars!
What you may notice is a slight reduction in the field of view as you move up the magnification.
It's hard to decide from text alone, you need to try them yourself. 

1 hour ago, Saraneth said:

Tripod would come a little down the line if I needed one. Won't have any spare money for a few weeks after buying this. :)

You can buy a decent tripod for 10-15£ second hand.

You don't have to tell us the answer to this but how long will it take you to save up for a dob? A 10" is about £400 new, £300 used. If you drop down to an 8" it's £300/£200. The 10x50s you are looking at are £100, which is 1/4 to 1/3 of your budget. I don't think you should spend such a large proportion of your budget for the thing you want on a thing that you don't want.

The 8x42 is more reasonable at £40. In addition, the smaller size and magnification will be easier to hand hold as well as being a more useful all round size for terrestrial viewing.

I live in New Zealand. The 10" dob is $1200 here. The 10x50 binos are $218 and the 8x42 are $168. These are the cheapest option I can find anywhere in this country. The money I am spending on the binos now are the beginnings of the money I started saving for the dob.
For the dob, all the cheaper places online I could find it do not ship to New Zealand. Not to mention that warranties will be a lot better buying here. For the binos after shipping from amazon they each cost about $40 less. ~$120 for the 8x42 and $180 for the 10x50, although like the dob, I will get better warranties buying here and also get a 60-day satisfaction guarantee.

I don't make a lot of money so the dob isn't anywhere near close to being bought. I need about 6-8 months to save for it. I can only just manage to put $40-$50 away each week as long as I don't get any unexpected expenses.

Edit: The idea of buying the binos has been with me for several days and it has really grown on me. I really feel like I do want them now.

10x50 will show you more, as long as you can hold them reasonably steadily. Some hints on how to do that on my website: http://binocularsky.com/binoc_hold.php (use method 2). But it would also be a good idea to try out some 10x50s, to make sure you can hold them reasonably steadily; if you can't, get the 8x42 (if you can't hold 10x50s steadily, you won't be able to hold 10x42 steadily either - the limiting factor at that size is magnification).

I have checked and the only difference between them is 200g. Does that make a lot of difference?
Have nowhere close I can test them, so I'm a bit out of luck there.

How much will I not be able to see with the 8x42 that I can see with the 10x50? I am now feeling a little worried about the potential shakiness of the 10x. Also, the 8x ones are considerably cheaper so if I am not going to miss out on too much I might go for them.

4 hours ago, Saraneth said:

I pulled the trigger and bought the 10x50 pair. Now for the what will feel like a 'long wait' for them to arrive.

You made a good choice....you'll enjoy the celestial views thru them for sure....I know I do with my 10x50s.  When you think you're ready....start thinking tripod.  With a good sturdy tripod those Nikon 10x50's will really make your observing a memorable experience each time you use them.  

Klitwo

2 hours ago, Saraneth said:

What kind of adapter do you need to attach them to a tripod? I've been seeing some suggestions floating around the net about using a monopod. What do you think of them?

To give you some ideas for an binocular tripod adapter...you can find some on Amazon that are pretty universal and fairly cheap. For example check out the following amazon link for a very sturdy universal tripod adapter....>

https://www.amazon.com/Snapzoom-Universal-Binocular-Tripod-Mount/dp/B01M6Y5I5M?keywords=nikon+binoculars+tripod+adapter&qid=1547521152&sr=8-1-spons&ref=sr_1_1_sspa&psc=1

I would recommend this type of rigid binocular platform adapter for your 10x50s instead of the use of just a standard 1/4-20 threaded bolt for securing your new Nikon 10x50s to a tripod head.  I use this type with my own 10x50s binocs....never regretted buying it.  It's a very solid binocular platform adapter for use on a good sturdy tripod.

Or another example of an adapter if you're considering a monopod...>

https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Converter-Threaded-Adapter-Monopod/dp/B07KW8V47L?keywords=binoculars+threaded+tripod+adapter&qid=1547521289&sr=8-1-fkmr2&ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1

Klitwo

P.S. You can use a monopod....but I would go with a regular sturdy tripod myself.  You would become a little tired holding up a monopod for binocular observing in sometimes awkward positions for any period or length of time...especially with a pair of 10x50s sitting on top of it.

Thanks for the links. I was just confused how to attach the adapter but watched some videos and I see you just screw it into the front of them usually. Will have a look at getting one in the near future if I am unable to get some good views holding them by hand.

It seems that a simple cheap one like this works with the Aculon range of binos.

1 minute ago, Saraneth said:

Thanks for the links. I was just confused how to attach the adapter but watched some videos and I see you just screw it into the front of them usually. Will have a look at getting one in the near future if I am unable to get some good views holding them by hand.

You can hold them by hand....but it will be a little shaky that's all.  A sturdy tripod and binocular platform adapter will make observing thru your new Nikon 10x50s...very much a viewing pleasure......

Looking around locally I found what looks like a decent cheap monopod with a footstand that is almost as tall as me. To get a tripod that tall seems to cost considerably more. Won't rule it out though and I will keep searching.

Also, a monopod with a joysick like this seems good but a bit costly.

2 minutes ago, Saraneth said:

Looking around locally I found what looks like a decent cheap monopod with a footstand that is almost as tall as me. To get a tripod that tall seems to cost considerably more. Won't rule it out though and I will keep searching.

I've used a monopod for binocular observing for a while.  I got use to it.  Once you get use to holding it in various positions...then it becomes much easier. 

Klitwo

It seems that a simple cheap one like this works with the Aculon range of binos.

The Barska Binocular Tripod Adapter looks fine.  You can always shop around first for other perhaps even cheaper brands of binocular tripod adapters before choosing one for your future tripod.  You can even try Ebay too.  They always have  wide range of binocular tripod accessories too.

Klitwo

Also, a monopod with a joysick like this seems good but a bit costly.

If you decide to eventually get a monopod for your new 10x50 Nikon binocs....it pays to shop around.  I have seen some nice looking rugged looking monopods on Alibaba too. You might want to check the following Alibaba link out for a better deal on a monopod....>

https://www.alibaba.com/showroom/monopod.html

Klitwo

9 hours ago, Saraneth said:

It seems that a simple cheap one like this works with the Aculon range of binos.

It'll be fine. I have several of those. ?

Re monopod/tripod: I far prefer a monopod with a trigger-grip head, which is easier to use on a garden recliner for high altitude targets (contrary to popular belief, the monopod does not have to be vertical to confer more stability). With a tripod, there is inevitably a territorial dispute between my legs and the tripod's legs (unless I use a parallelogram mount - like the one in my avatar - but you really don't need to go there yet!). However, I only use the monopod/trigger-grip combo with my 16x70; if you hand-hold your 10x50s in the way I suggested above, you should be fine.

As an example, when the lad (my son) in those images I pointed you to was 10, he found an interesting-looking object using 10x50s and holding them like that, and devised a star-hop so he could show me what he'd found. Turns out he'd made an independent discovery of M34 (open cluster in . That suggests to me that he was able to hold them sufficiently steadily to be useful.

You're probably also discovering that there are several seemingly-conflicting opinions (eg Charic's, Klitwo's and mine)  on hand-held binocular sizes and mountings - this is merely individual preferences;; we all have them; you'll eventually find your own set of preferences. ?

10 hours ago, Saraneth said:

When I received my TS Marine 10x50 that adapter was in the pouch eventhough I had not ordered one, and it is not among the listed accessories. Don't know if TS wanted to offer me a little gift for my first order or if the thing is standard, but you might get one, too, just wait.

I have just found out they the Nikon Aculon 10x50 are out of stock and won't be in for 2-3 weeks. God damn!

Anyway, I have the option to choosing some  Pentax 10x50 S-Series SP for an extra $10 or the Nikon EX Action CF 10x50 Binocular for an extra $60. Does anyone know anything about these? Are they worth it or should I wait for the Nikons Aculons 10x50?

Or I could downgrade to the 8x42...

Thanks

Everyone changes their mind if/when out of stock, and all that time  spent studying them?  ( me too, Ive done the same ).

I returned a set of Extremes, they did not fit my face ? the only pair that haven't , plus there was no UK warranty with mine, just a shop store warranty!!!!

The Stars will still be there when the Aculons arrive! I also doubt that you will only have one pair of binoculars in your time as an astronomer.  You could try the 8x42's, but  dont see it as a  'downgrade' or  any poorer  than the  10x50,  it's just a different magnification, and if you don't  like them, you'll  still have time to return them?  

Your call........

Oh damn, you are right. It's been about a week on multiple forums and like few hundred google searches to arrive at the Aculon 10x50's. I will regret it if I just go and change now.

Haha, thanks for the slap. I will wait. :)

Archived