SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What are the odds!!! Meteor in front of the moon during Lunar Eclipse !!!

Wiu-Wiu

I didn't have time to make pictures because I had to leave for work early, but a quick view with binoculars was possible. As I was watching, a meteor flashed just under the moon through my FOV. WOW! 

I knew a friend of mine was videotaping the eclipse from a place a few kilometers from my home, so I told him to check his footage and behold!!! In his viewpoint, the meteor actually crossed the lunar disk! 

What are the odds to that!!! 

All credits to Stormcell.be ! 

I’m pretty sure it was a different one; We were only a couple of kilometers apart and the meteor from my viewpoint passed just below and more to the right. 

For explanation; look at the ISS passage tracks on those: just a few km on the ground makes a big difference in the air. A meteor is even closer so the path would be even more narrow.

No, that's where it ended. The super slow-motion shows it ending just past the lunar disk, not on it. You can also see it getting fainter at the end. It was  shot with a regular camera, the quality and framerate could have been higher with an astro-cam, but so would the storage requirements.. 

There must have been quite a few meteors that night. Have you all seen the photos going around apparently showing an impact on the moon?

I've tried to attach a link to the article hoping it works.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-6628139/Lucky-photographer-captures-rare-moment-meteor-strikes-moon-total-lunar-eclipse.html

Indeed, lots of people reported meteors, it must have been an active small periodic meteor shower. I suspect both objects would origin from the same dust cloud, Only the one hitting the moon must have been quite a lot bigger. 

Archived