Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_through_the-_eyepiece_winners.thumb.jpg.236833c5815bb321211a43f4d5214ba8.jpg

Xiga

IC 443 (the Jellyfish Nebula) in Bi-Colour

Posted (edited)

I've been holding onto this data in the hope that the clouds would part, for even just one night, so that i could add the additional Ha data that it so desperately needs. Alas, the weather this winter has been utter pants! Of course, ask a non-AP'er what it's been like and they'll tell you it's been great as it's been unusually mild compared to normal. And of course mild = clouds! I've only had the telescope out once since mid November. ☹️ So i've given up waiting and just ploughed on anyway! 

So this is a total integration of 8.75 hrs made up of:

11 x 1200s of Ha (Baader)

14 x 1200s of Oiii (Baader)

25 x 60s of RGB (for stars only) with an IDAS-D1. 

SW 80ED, HEQ5-Pro, Nikon D5300.

Stacked in APP and processed in PS. Combined using Annie's 'Hubble Palette Creation' Astro Action (using a blend of 70/30 of Ha/Oiii for the SII). 

Processed by removing the stars from the Ha and Oiii prior to combining. Then adding in the RGB stars in 'Lighten' blend mode. As well as adding colour to the NB stars, if you get the background level right before combining, then even with just 25 mins worth of data, it can really help to clean up some of the darker noisier areas of the Ha luminance layer. 

Reduced to 60% of full size, as the noise was really grinding my gears when viewing it at anything more than that! Ugh, I really need that cooled mono cam.....

As always C&C welcome. And clear skies! (whatever those are 😋 )

IC 443_HST_v1.jpg

Edited by Xiga
  • Like 20

I didn't realise I was looking at a DSLR image.  This is really good for a DSLR especially as the target itself is not particularly easy. 

Fancy bit of processing technique there.

Carole 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, carastro said:

I didn't realise I was looking at a DSLR image.  This is really good for a DSLR especially as the target itself is not particularly easy. 

Fancy bit of processing technique there.

Carole 

Thanks Carole. 

I forgot to add the gear used. I've done that now. Thanks for the reminder! 

That is spectacular.

This is an object I was hoping to "do" with my duo filter when my new colour camera arrives. If I get a result half as good as yours, I will be well-chuffed.

Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

That’s really super Ciaran.  Funny i was looking back at my own jelllyfish last night, and printed out a small copy.

That really is a fantastic DSLR, coupled with your excellent processing skills, you don’t need a CCD 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

That is spectacular.

This is an object I was hoping to "do" with my duo filter when my new colour camera arrives. If I get a result half as good as yours, I will be well-chuffed.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks mate. Look forward to seeing how you get on with the new camera.

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

That’s really super Ciaran.  Funny i was looking back at my own jelllyfish last night, and printed out a small copy.

That really is a fantastic DSLR, coupled with your excellent processing skills, you don’t need a CCD 

Thanks Adam. Considering it's just an entry-level DSLR, the D5300 really is surprisingly good. Just as well too, as these days all our savings have to go into the new house and (for some reason that I can't quite fathom) not Astrophotography 😂 😭

• Like 1

Wow! A new target added to the list. Inspiring image!

• Like 1

Very good image Ciaran.

Excellent processing made even more impressive with data from a dslr.  Top notch 😎.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, eshy76 said:

Wow! A new target added to the list. Inspiring image!

Thanks eshy76! 

9 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Very good image Ciaran.

Excellent processing made even more impressive with data from a dslr.  Top notch 😎.

Thanks Barry! 👍

9 hours ago, Seanelly said:

Wonderful image!

Thanks Sean 🙂

That's great. Amazing what can be done with a dslr in the right hands. It's one i want to try with my colour camera too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

That's great. Amazing what can be done with a dslr in the right hands. It's one i want to try with my colour camera too.

Thanks Richard 🙏

Looking forward to seeing your version (if the clouds ever clear)