Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What an unmodded EOS cannot do

darditti

A interesting demonstration of the limits of the unmodified EOS 350D/C11/Celestron LPR setup I have been using recently. I got excellent results on M42 and planetary nebulae, but it is hopeless with a faint object that shines almost entirely in the H alpha deep red.

This is 80 minutes of Horsehead (8x10 mins). I went to bed on the morning of the 25th, left the system imaging, and got up an hour later in order to capture this, but I needn't have bothered. At least I then took the opportunity to take some shots of the crescent Moon. You live and learn.

David

IC434-08-10-25CLPC11EOS.jpg

Thats a real shame because that would have made an awesome 'close up' of the horsey. The guiding and stars there are very sharp, and a credit to the setup.

Its true though, the modded 350d just makes this dso jump out at you. You going to get yours done?

TJ

No, decided to leave it as it is but get a QHY8. The reason for this is that I am going to start imaging with a Hyperstar on the C11, and, though Starizona say you can use the C11 Hyperstar with an EOS, it doesn't seem very suitable to me - wrong shape. Also, a QHY has come up at a good price. :D

David

No, decided to leave it as it is but get a QHY8. The reason for this is that I am going to start imaging with a Hyperstar on the C11, and, though Starizona say you can use the C11 Hyperstar with an EOS, it doesn't seem very suitable to me - wrong shape. Also, a QHY has come up at a good price. :D

Welcome to Hyperstar heaven, i`m sure you`ll enjoy your stay :help:

Well you dont know what the equipment you use is capable of until you try these things......

I havent managed the HH yet with my modded 350, although exp times have only been around 90secs....If i can push exp times up, seeing this image of what an unmodded dslr can do, gives me hope.......

Mark

Well, I've steered clear of all the gaseous stuff with my setup - unmodded 350D on f/4.8 10" newt. Maybe the right decision after all - I've only tried a couple of nebulae: one was M57 which, at prime focus on a fast scope doesn't amount to much. The other was the Helix which was one of the ones I showed you the other night David. But I'm better off sticking to galaxies and especially globs, I reckon. NGC7293 needed a tremendous amount of curve-tugging to show anything at all (virtually invisible in the subs) and the quality is - er - well at least you can make it out on the final processed image, I can say that much...

Perhaps your horse might not be totally dead, may give you a run for your money with a bit of similarly brutal flogging...(oops! extended metaphor)

Maybe one day I'll get my 350D modded...

Archived