NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12v (output) on EQ6 - Max draw?

upahill

Hi All,

I added a locking 12v power supply port to my mount, direct soldered to the board. This leaves the original 2.5mm port redundant.

I also currently use a canon dummy battery which is fed with 12v - this comes of a wall adapter at the moment, is there anything stopping me from going 2.5mm plug -> canon fake battery and powering the camera from the mount?

I cant find data for how much power the camera would draw anywhere.

Looking around at the battery details all I found on amazon is LP-E10 7.4V/860mAh battery. You would need to remove the existing 2.5 from the mounts board, unless you are going to either spur of the existing power supply externally or add another 2.5mm adapter.

9 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The Canon camera will need between 7.4 and 9V to operate at around 800-1000mA, does the dummy battery include a step down inverter?

Alan

I need to triple check, I believe the brick outputs 12v, and the dummy steps it down. That draw isn't horrendous though.

8 minutes ago, spillage said:

Looking around at the battery details all I found on amazon is LP-E10 7.4V/860mAh battery. You would need to remove the existing 2.5 from the mounts board, unless you are going to either spur of the existing power supply externally or add another 2.5mm adapter.

The original 2.5 is still in place, but not used, so is effectively an output now?

3 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

If you can fit one in, put a buck converter into the mount, which can then be turned down to volts needed for the camera, for me that's 8.4v...

Thats an idea. I was hoping to use the existing port - but its PCB mounted so not easy to interfere with that with a buck. If the dummy battery does have the buck converter in it though then this wouldnt be needed? I'm not planning on staying canon forever - so would rather keep that port at 12v if possible.

2 minutes ago, upahill said:

The original 2.5 is still in place, but not used, so is effectively an output now?

My electronics is awful at the best of times but sure it can only be used as input not output.  I would consider just spurring off the mounts psu lead. Then its just a chocolate block and insulation tape.

If you have a multimeter, check if there is continuity (short circuits) between your new and the old connectors.

If there is, and they should be, unless you've by-passed the input protection diode (normally fitted), then whatever you feed into one should appear at the other, so you could then fit a buck converter into a small external box, which in turn will drive the camera.....

Hi,

When I had a Canon 350D and a Canon 5D I feed them from an 8 volt regulator. The top current can for short times be maybe up to 2000 milliAmpere. The mean current is much lower, in a more modern camera the liveview takes a lot of current if you use that. Have a capacitor near or inside the battery dummy to take care of the current when camera shtter operates, something like 220 mikro Farad and 20 volts. Also have small capacitors 5 to 20 nano Farad to depress high frequnce nosie from camera, mount and voltage regulaters. Don't have the voltage regulator inside the battery dummie, it will cause heating problem, did that mistake and have to rebuilt it later.

http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/projects/project-astro-server-and-powerunit/project-astro-server-and-powerunit.html

/Lars

3 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

If you have the 240v battery converter rip the guts out put the buck converter in to it add a cable with the right connector  and feed it from the mount port .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PremiumDigital-Canon-1000D-Replacement-Adapter/dp/B0083VU0W6

Ah thats the one I have, which kind of confirms the brick does the voltage conversion not the dummy battery. So Mount -> buck -> battery seems the way to go :)

1 minute ago, upahill said:

Ah thats the one I have, which kind of confirms the brick does the voltage conversion not the dummy battery. So Mount -> buck -> battery seems the way to go :)

Theres a screw under label i didn't see  i used a brummie screw driver to open so needed a new housing , i still have to solder up which i was intending to do over the holiday .

Archived