Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A break in the clouds

mark81

December has been terrible so far, so when I saw a break in the clouds I dashed outside and before i put the scope down I could tell the seeing wasn't great.

I checked out M42 first because I wanted to pick out m43 for my newly started Messier list but with the poor conditions and Orion being too low I couldn't manage it- M43 was easily visible but too transparent.

I stuck with Orion and saw that my Atlas had a little cluster marked just above Gamma Orionis,  called DO19? Not sure what that means but easily picked it out as a small open cluster of a handful of stars. I took a little sketch - which I do now with my new found enthusiasm taken from a quote I read about Messier.... He was 'a diligent observer with humble equipment but much enthusiasm' ?

Clouds were rolling in so I cracked on with NGC 2186 not too far from Betelgeuse - which was large, yes, but very faint under these conditions so I will check that out again.

I then noticed that NGC 1981 sits just above M42 - which after after a quick look I thougt this would work well under dark skies and a pair of 10x50s. Another sketch..

I finished off attempting the Crab Nebula but once again failed....

Half hour well spent ....

IMG_20181228_200534.jpg

15 hours ago, mark81 said:

had a little cluster marked just above Gamma Orionis,  called DO19? Not sure what that means but easily picked it out as a small open cluster of a handful of stars. I took a little sketch - which I do now with m

DO refers to the Dolidze catalogue of open clusters. Many have been incorporated into the NGC catalogue, https://www.stellar-journeys.org/cluster-dolidze-info.htm

Nick.

57 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Well done Mark -  I'm also on the lookout for a brief window of opportunity!

Doug.

Yea, it was very brief but felt nice to be outside again.  Looking much better tonight ...?

Good report and determined by the brief opportunities between cloud cover. I think that the east has encountered more clear spells perhaps but still quite frustrating in planning for a session. I to was out a little early for Orion, clusters therefore are highly dependable targets in these circumstances, when other targets may require a bit more time and patience, transparency conditions. There is a cold N/E weather front slowly moving in bringing high pressure, so circumstances may improve a little later in week, maybe.

Archived