P46/Wirtanen passing Capella

2F445760-C44F-4C67-A8B3-10FFF80C6ABF.thumb.png.04214aa3172ca18ca18142504dbc677c.png

Taken on the evening of Christmas Eve during a brief hour or so of clear skies. The comet was about 44° above a very bright Moon being 93% illuminated, although this had the advantage of drowning out the red light pollution. :) I halved the exposure of the subs because of this and a bright Capella taking them at F4 instead of F2.8. There’s about 50 minutes worth of 30 second subs at ISO400 at 135mm on the Star Adventurer. Thanks for looking :) 

16 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

A worthy result Richard. You done well catching it. No sign of Santa in your subs?! ? 

No, he must’ve been busy elsewhere ?

Edit, I just thought, that’s one of his reindeer’s, Comet.

3 minutes ago, orion25 said:

Excellent work, RIchard!  And to think, I wasn't expecting too much from this comet, but it pleasantly surprised me :) 

Thanks Reggie, yes I’ve enjoyed this one. Hadn’t imaged them before. :) 

1 minute ago, Scooot said:

Thank you, nice of you to say so.

Been trying to see it with my 10x50s but the weather has been abysmal. Thanks for the view.

3 minutes ago, Sland said:

Been trying to see it with my 10x50s but the weather has been abysmal. Thanks for the view.

I haven’t had many opportunities visually either. I was only able to see it with my 10” on the 12th, but I got a better view of it near M45 with my 8x42s in the early hours of the 16th.

Archived