Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

46P Wirtanen Comet

Ed in UK

Success on many levels in the early hours of this morning as I managed to bag my first comet ?.

I managed to get the data set downloaded into Stellarium and spent some time going through the Star Hop from Pleiades to the comet.

At 0315 the sky finally cleared here and I took the scope out and had the computer nearby to guide me though the hop.

It only took a few minutes to get to the comet and was really pleased seeing that how I have struggled with star hoping and this one was a breeze. ?

I used the kit 25mm EP for the star hop then viewed the comet mainly with my 12mm EP to try and detect any movement. Stellarium seemed to suggest that I could see movement even after a period as short as 15 minutes.

The comet itself was just a hazy fuzzy ball but with averted vision I could make out a brighter (star like) center to it, which I assume was the actual rock/ice of the comet body.

I observed it for about 40 minutes and could see that even in that time the comet had moved slightly when compared to other stars around it.

Some information that I read before going out spoke of the haze having a greenish glow to it, but I couldn't see any colour within it.

Really pleased with this session because hopefully now the star hoping starts in earnest.

Looks like that purchase of Sky Safari just moved  even closer.

Thanks for reading.

Ed

Good stuff Ed. Star hopping is quite easy once you get the hang of bit, and with Skysafari it is easy to match the limiting magnitude and field of view to what you are seeing, so that makes it a breeze; much better than star hoping anyway ??

I've not observed it long enough on any one night to notice movement, must be good to see. Quite dramatic movement night to night though, it is really shifting!

Great stuff Ed.

+1 on purchasing Sky Safari for exactly the reasons @Stu gives. It's taken me from putting the scope somewhere roughly right to being able to put it bang on the spot most times. Then I can spend time observing instead of 'mowing the lawn' searching up and down for things.

It also means that when something is really faint, if I know I'm in the right place and I can't see it, then I move on instead of spending ages scanning about and wondering.

Thanks everyone. 

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't grappling with the scope controls to keep the comet in view. Over a period of about 40mins it appeared to move a couple of mm in the EP. 

With regards to Sky Safari, does it need an internet connection  to operate ?

I saw the comet, and my first ever through a telescope, less than twelve hours ago, and with my 80mm f/6 achromat, a 2" 32mm 70° ocular, and at 15x...

382856623_Comet46P-Wirtenan-121618.jpg.f1e5c94b0dfd5359f8fd60c3e62d8e40.jpg

That's the unobtrusive Moon in the background, and partially obscured by trees.  No trouble at all it was during my pursuit.

I had to watch it for a spell, and it did move rather quickly thereby verifying its identity.  At first I thought it might be a globular-cluster, so I went back inside and checked Stellarium.  Hind's nebula was in the vicinity, but it didn't take long to rule it out, and due to the comet's rather rapid movement.  Using averted vision, I could barely detect the core.  All in all, a most worthwhile endeavour.

I may bring out the 6" f/5 Newtonian tomorrow night, but it doesn't have a 2" focusser.  I have a 30mm Plossl to use with it, and at 25x; it might be worth the effort.

I'm a bit disappointed that Stellarium didn't list the comet by default, but I've now added it, and that will be of immense help over the coming days and weeks.

Comets are ALWAYS welcome on the observing agenda, and with this one being my first through a telescope.

Archived