Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HELP !!!!! USB Trouble

Rodd

I could be in deep.  My laptop has 2 USBs a 2 and a 3.  Both have stopped reading flash drives that work on other computers. m The device manager indicates that the USBs are working properly and have the latest drivers installed.  But the flash drives I plug in are not recognized (They do not appear as drive E of F etc.)  Whta could the problem be?  I rely on my USBs to image.  Without them, I am completely dead in the water.

Please Help!

Rodd

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rodd, this not uncommon for usb's to not be read by your pc/laptop. Do you have another pc; laptop, tv or any device that recognises pen drives. This should check that both pen drives are being recognised or not. Pen drives can get corrupted if you disconnect whilst they are running. This could brick them, so best to only disconnect when all data transfer has finished. It could certainly be the laptop. I have had many a pen drive not recognised by the computer. If that's the case, check out this link :-

Steve

12 minutes ago, sloz1664 said:

odd, this not uncommon for usb's to not be read by your pc/laptop. Do you have another pc; laptop, tv or any device that recognises pen drives. This should check that both pen drives are being recognised or not. Pen drives can get corrupted if you disconnect whilst they are running. This could brick them, so best to only disconnect when all data transfer has finished. It could certainly be the laptop. I have had many a pen drive not recognised by the computer. If that's

The flash drives work for gods sake--the USBs do not.  Nothing I plug into the USBs work.  But the computer says they are functioning fine

plug the usb drives in then open disk manager and check that the PC is allocating a drive letter to the drive.  If not you can allocate a drive letter and then the disk will appear.

Just now, Sland said:

plug the usb drives in then open disk manager and check that the PC is allocating a drive letter to the drive.  If not you can allocate a drive letter and then the disk will appear.

Not sure what you mean.  The device manager says that they are working properly.  But no letter is being used for them.  How do I allocate a letter?

11 minutes ago, Sland said:

I tried it--didn't work  the USBs are not listed when I plug in a flashdrive.  

I take it you are using Windoze ? but which flavour 7\8\10 ??   Have you tried plugging in a camera or some other device to see if it get recognised ?? if it is then there's nowt wrong with the computer, just a config has got screwed...

3 minutes ago, Sland said:

I don't think it is the pen drives.  Have you another pen drive you could try in the affected PC?  Borrow one?

I tried a portable usb driven disc drive--doesn't work either

6 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I take it you are using Windoze ? but which flavour 7\8\10 ??   Have you tried plugging in a camera or some other device to see if it get recognised ?? if it is then there's nowt wrong with the computer, just a config has got screwed...

Windows 10.  And no device works when I plug them into the usbs

I take it, you have rebooted the pc with all no devices attached ?? 

One thing to note, is that the in-built keyboard & mouse will almost certainly be based on internal USB connections, so if you have spares of either plugging them in can sometimes 'kick' things back to life.  

Have a look at this site (https://mspoweruser.com/solved-usb-device-not-recognized-windows-10/) especially the part on checking the USB root hub & disabling power control.

7 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

I take it, you have rebooted the pc with all no devices attached ?? 

One thing to note, is that the in-built keyboard & mouse will almost certainly be based on internal USB connections, so if you have spares of either plugging them in can sometimes 'kick' things back to life.  

Have a look at this site (https://mspoweruser.com/solved-usb-device-not-recognized-windows-10/) especially the part on checking the USB root hub & disabling power control.

I tried rebooting--nothing.  The key board and mousepad work fine--the computer works fine--the USBs bdo not

Basic 101, you've re-booted & logged on, everything appears normal, you can control everything & can hear sounds ?

When you plug-in a usb device, does the laptop make the usual 2 tone beep noise ??  If it does, then whatever you've plugged in should be visible in control panel \ device manager.

If there are any yellow triangles, then the laptop is missing drivers for that particular device, else everything is ok.

If no sound is heard, then that would suggest that there is no power being supplied to the external devices. This is usually controlled either via Windows power management or can be from BIOS settings. To check the latter you would need to enter the BIOS config during the boot sequence.

48 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Basic 101, you've re-booted & logged on, everything appears normal, you can control everything & can hear sounds ?

When you plug-in a usb device, does the laptop make the usual 2 tone beep noise ??  If it does, then whatever you've plugged in should be visible in control panel \ device manager.

If there are any yellow triangles, then the laptop is missing drivers for that particular device, else everything is ok.

If no sound is heard, then that would suggest that there is no power being supplied to the external devices. This is usually controlled either via Windows power management or can be from BIOS settings. To check the latter you would need to enter the BIOS config during the boot sequence.

I don't speak Bushman!  No idea how to do that

3 minutes ago, Thalestris24 said:

Windows will plug n play them automatically. Did you check the usb port power settings in device manager?

All I can do in device manager is click on the USB and it says its working properly.  There is nothing else to do--no options

Archived