Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Is there a detailed Constellation Book available?

bazza

Hi Barry

I'm compiling target lists at the moment so i'm surrounded by...

Philips Deep Sky Observers Guide which lists object by constellation...

Philips Deep Sky Chart has the bigger objects shown on it in a convenient map format..

Sky and Telescopes Pocket Sky Atlas shows loads more and is a constant companion in th eobs and is "dampproof"

I then use the internet to look at images of the objects.

Billy...

Thanks Billy,

I have the S & T Pocket Atlas (Very Good) - but I just find myself jumping from page to page or like yourself, end up with about three books on my lap!

I guess there would be too much info to put on one or maybe spread across two pages.

Barry.

Yeah its a problem I suppose knowign where to draw the line..

Out of them all I think the Pocket Sky Atlas has got it just about right...

I used to stay online in the obs but have stopped doing taht as i used to end up chatting of windoze would downlaod updates and reboot etc...

Billy...

Billy...

If you require a comprehensive guide to the constellations which cover DSOs and multiple stars with good star charts and a reasonable cost (under £13 from Amazon) I would recommend 'Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders' by R B and B F Thompson. The book covers 50 constellations in a book of over 500 pages. It might be paperback but is an excellent guide to use with the Pocket Star Atlas (S and T).

Mark

I have the same book as Mark above and it is very good I have to say.

"Turn left at Orion" also looks great, I've read bits of it but dont have that one.

They have diagrams that you can read under red light

Is this for you Barry, or is it Xmas-pressie time? I'm asking, because it helps to have some idea of the target reader. For some, details like RA, decl. and magnitude may not be of primary interest.

Also remember that 99% of all the NGCs and ICs are merely faint fuzzies, probably around magnitude 14 or 15, and not really that interesting unless you've got access to a 24" RCOS.... :) Every constellation in the sky has got its share of those.

Having said that, I prefer to use a planetarium software like CdC to find out what's of interest in a particular constellation, then go to the SEDs page to see what that elusive fuzzy actually looks like. But there are many coffee-table type books that might fit your bill. I've used, for many years of general browsing, Guinness book of Astronomy (by - who else? - PM) which incorporates what you're after - an alphabetical list of each constellation with lists of interesting doubles, variables, Messiers and NGC's etc. Don't know whether it's still in print but I'm sure Amazon or Ebay can point you to a copy...

Pete, the book is for me...it's a difficult one because I have loads of books containing the constellations and use a mixture of them.

I suppose I was thinking for that cloudy night in the armchair and thinking of imaging targets.

When I do this, I generally end up with loads scattered all around me!

I have ordered the Burnhams Handbook (as Helen suggested and cheap on Amazon), I already have one of Sir PM's and as I said earlier, the S & T Pocket Atlas.

You'd think this was enough wouldn't you?!

Barry.

Another book (or pair of books) you might like to consider is The Night Sky Observer's Guide by Kepple and Sanner Vol 1 Autumn and Winter and Vol 2 Spring and Summer. They are a very comprehensive sort of modern "Burnhams".

These look interesting, but is there a UK supplier for less than £50 a go?

phone jodrell bank. i went there last week. Professor Ian Morrison has a book in the visitors centre shop there at 9.99. it has a page for each constellation and shows objects for each constellation. i cannot find the title of the book online at present hence my advice to phone them.

Another book (or pair of books) you might like to consider is The Night Sky Observer's Guide by Kepple and Sanner Vol 1 Autumn and Winter and Vol 2 Spring and Summer. They are a very comprehensive sort of modern "Burnhams".

These look interesting, but is there a UK supplier for less than £50 a go?

Doing a quick Google search gives

Word-Power Books £27.96 each

Optic Star £46.00 each and they have a sample chapter in pdf format

Amazon.co.uk are over £50 each.

Doing a quick Google search gives

Word-Power Books £27.96 each

Optic Star £46.00 each and they have a sample chapter in pdf format

Amazon.co.uk are over £50 each.

my google-fu must be weak as I completely missed word-power books. But alas they have no stock.

I notice that volume 3 'The Southern skies' has recently been published in the US so maybe vols 1 and 2 might get another print run and wider UK availability as £46 for a $34 book seems a bit steep.

Kepple and Sanner are excellent, though written for visual observers with large scopes they are also great for imaging ideas. Really nice books to flick through as well. I had some trouble getting them in the UK but yhey can be got quite cheaply second hand from the US through Amazon etc - I think I paid about £18 each.

For a general book featuring each constellation and the Messier etc objects they contain I'd highly recommend The Guiness Book of Astronomy - I was surprised by this when I came across it somewhere but its a great constellation by constellation guide. Can be got very cheap second hand.

Phil.

Archived