NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Altair Sabre - Digital Setting Circles

Alan White

1 hour ago, JG777 said:

Thats a neat clamp for the Nexus, wish I could find something like that for my AYOII. 

DSC would go great on a Sabre, been a long time coming though. 

I looked into dsc for the ayo ii , I've only just picked myself up from shock of fainting  £££££ ridiculous money.

I expect it will probably double the price or thereabouts depending on type and quality of encoders, would assume they will be factory fitted rather than the user adding them. I think if it comes in a few hundred cheaper than an AYOII it would be a great choice. I owned two Sabres previously and they are very good mounts. 

I once fitted encoders from TS to a Giro II mount. It was quite a Heath Robinson affair, but actually worked very well once physically installed correctly which took some fiddling. It was very vulnerable to getting bashed though, so I sold it in the end.

On 22/11/2018 at 16:37, JG777 said:

Thats a neat clamp for the Nexus, wish I could find something like that for my AYOII. 

Astro Devices show brackets like this online, I expect one might be available for the AYO.

On 22/11/2018 at 16:37, JG777 said:

That’s actually one of Serge’s shelves John. But I’m sure you were aware. I have 3 versions that fit to my Dob, my AYO II and my Vamo Traveller...

It can be adapted to most applications by Serge or Beat i’m sure. 

I specifically asked Beat to fit the AYO Digi “Nexus / Argo Navis” shelf to my AYO II. Perhaps an aftermarket fix could be possible with Beat’s and Serge’s shelves...

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I have had response from Nick at Altair who suggests it may about £2K for one of these as a ballpark figure,
clearly these have not been a production run.

Other mounts now look far more reasonable in cost after all.

Wow 2k if it happens. Beat wont lose any sleep!

27 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Astro Devices show brackets like this online, I expect one might be available for the AYO.

I can see the trays but its the circular clamp that I would need like the one in the Altair pic. 

21 minutes ago, Stargazer McCabe said:

That’s actually one of Serge’s shelves John. But I’m sure you were aware. I have 3 versions that fit to my Dob, my AYO II and my Vamo Traveller...

It can be adapted to most applications by Serge or Beat i’m sure. 

I specifically asked Beat to fit the AYO Digi “Nexus / Argo Navis” shelf to my AYO II. Perhaps an aftermarket fix could be possible with Beat’s and Serge’s shelves...

Thanks Simon  yes I noticed it was an AD product. As mentioned something like that circular clamp would be perfect, looked all around the net but havent found anything similar. I agree Beat could make something and I might ask him, thing is I really dont want to send the AYO anywhere in case it gets lost! 

Also my NDSC is still not back from repair and the comms with Serge has been very slow. ?

Thanks Simon some pics would be great when you get a moment. Beat did tell me the top clamps are now available as an add on but this means drilling into the AYO and taking things apart. Would like to find a non drilling solution ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2018 at 14:44, Alan White said:

I have had response from Nick at Altair who suggests it may about £2K for one of these as a ballpark figure,
clearly these have not been a production run.

Other mounts now look far more reasonable in cost after all.

What? £2k?

If that's the case, I'll swap my Sabre for the AYO Digi II + DSC which would be cheaper.

Archived