Beggars can't be choosers...

James

File this under: "I'm still imaging when I can..."  First clear night in ages and yes, of course, the Devil's own Light Bulb is up and about, its being Sunday night isn't ideal either ... I couldn't resist the urge to get out though and am currently sitting in a nicely deserted campsite, the temperature is down to 2c already and dropping fast and I'm making a pot noodle whilst I collect some data. Ha of course, it seems to work even when the moons up. At this rate of clear nights it'll take me 1.8 years to complete this image so here's a bit of the North America Nebula in Ha, 51 subs of 2 mins, 300 Gain.  Calibrated against some darks from last month, otherwise only stacked and stretched.. I'm collecting a little more Ha tonight before switching to another target... one day I'll get OIII and SII, honest!

51x  2min subs, Esprit 100, ZWO ASI 1600mm-Pro, Baader 7nm Ha filter, captured using the SkyXPro on a belt modded HEQ5 (my trusty HEQ5 is rather enjoying a new lease of life!). 

NAN_Ha.thumb.jpg.4a4fe384c6398c7e68b9cda565b1885c.jpg

21 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

That's proper imaging. Enjoy the Pot Noodle.

Thank you - sadly it's finished but it was enjoyed...

18 minutes ago, Helen said:

Enjoy @James ? 

Helen

;) Definitely!!

3 minutes ago, paul mc c said:

More importantly.........what flavour......cracking image by the way.

Beef and Tomato. :)

I have some Jaffa Cakes with me, a flask of tea and a Naked Noodle, Thai Green Curry flavour Egg Noodle thingy to eat next (um, if/when I get cold/hungry). Kettle's already on...

James

I've had nights where I don't think it's done it as well... at the time of capturing these ones the moon was quite low and in quite a different part of the sky and the sky was very very clear, no sign of haze around the moon. Later the moon was higher and brighter but there was virtually no dew - although there was a layer of frost by midnight :) All in all, not a bad evening!

James

PS - the OIII will happen when there's no moon! Moonlight seems to mess with my OIII data ..

20 minutes ago, tomato said:

First class result, I enjoy tea and biscuits by the laptop, the mug will get spilt over the keyboard one of these nights...

I'm fairly careful on the spilling front, the food/drink is kept away from the laptop :)

---

Unfortunately from the point I posted the image at the top it was downhill from there... the FWHM just got worse and worse, I didn't see this on screen for a while and only began to wonder when I did a refocus and found it not as tight as I'd like. Oh well - the Pot Noodle was good, the Green Thai noodle thing was excellent ... :)

Archived