B33 Ha

Rodd

FSQ 106 with .6x reducer and asi 1600 with 3um Astrodon filter.  This image was shot during the actual full Moon.  Started imaging at 11:45, went to bed and woke up to shut down at 5:30--no refocus all night.  The first 5 subs or so were taken while Orion was very low in the east (10degrees or so) but I included them anyway.  They were a little dimmer but otherwise pretty good.  I wanted to show the Horsehead in its full glory (almost got it!) and at its actual orientation.  It was either this or M42--and I took a 5 sec Ha sub of M42 and the core was already blown, so that target will take a great deal of care and attention with numerous integration times to do properly.  Not ready for that yet--not sure Ha will be apart of it.  I think I will finish this one though.  I can see that the Moon has degraded the image quite a bit--but I think I have seen worse, so when combined with subs taken during better conditions I think it will be OK.

62 5min subs

Ha-62a.thumb.jpg.f76141103dccfa6c7a7f9037e73c7cb2.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, tomato said:

Great 'widefield' image with plenty of detail, B33 region in Ha always delivers!

Thanks, tomaato ? .  I agree... this region is awesome.  I am still amazed at the detail that can be picked up with short focal lengths and very modest apertures.   I shot this at 700mm and plan on doing it at 1960 one day--should be a nice comparison.

Rodd 

5 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks, Doc....not yet, but is has potential.  I am looking forward to finishing this one.  Some targets never seem to get old.

Rodd

I didn’t critically evaluate it because I know you’ll be back with even more improvements. ?

7 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Super image. Must revisit this region some time soon

Thanks, Michael.  I never get tired of it.  I think without a Moon it will fill in nicely

Rodd

This already looks stunning Rodd. Can't wait to see it in all its colourful glory. 

I'm hoping to do this area myself this winter. Elevation is always a problem though, with neighbours roofs and chimney smoke a constant source of annoyance, lol. 

14 minutes ago, Xiga said:

This already looks stunning Rodd. Can't wait to see it in all its colourful glory. 

I'm hoping to do this area myself this winter. Elevation is always a problem though, with neighbours roofs and chimney smoke a constant source of annoyance, lol. 

Thanks Ciaran....I hear ya.  Trees are my big obstacle.  

Rodd

2 hours ago, don4l said:

Great  image, Rodd.

I bet that I am not the only person who rotated it 90 degrees!?

Cheater!   Thanks for looking.  I did it the first time rotated.  To tell teh truth, part of the reason I didn't want to rotate the camera is I don't want to shoot new flats, and I have allot of trouble matching camera angles for some reason--even with a CAA--I always lose a bunch to cropping.

Rodd

Oh, I think that the camera angle was spot on.  I love the bits that protrude in from the edges.  They give the photo a great atmospheric effect.  It would look great hanging up on a wall.

I was also doing some Ha last night, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the results.

1 hour ago, don4l said:

Oh, I think that the camera angle was spot on.  I love the bits that protrude in from the edges.  They give the photo a great atmospheric effect.  It would look great hanging up on a wall.

I was also doing some Ha last night, and I was very pleasantly surprised by the results.

Yes Ha is allot of fun--subs often come out looking pretty good right off teh camera with no calibration.  

Rodd

2 hours ago, David_L said:

Really good! Could you flip it to portrait - my neck hurts LOL!

David

It seems that when I rotate images their size is impacted somehow.  Besides.  This is the REAL orientation--look up at Orion and you'll see.  The heavens are not wholly Comfortable!?

Rodd

2 hours ago, David_L said:

Really good! Could you flip it to portrait - my neck hurts LOL!

But if you insist--here it is.  I guess the size is the same--my computer likes to play tricks on me.

Rodd

PS--last minute tweaks...play with fire and....

Ha-62ar6.thumb.jpg.d3d6292bc079e70ee9e013ccd18ea319.jpg

40 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

Very nice Rodd whichever way round it is...  and no trace of ASI 1600 microlensing around the bright stars 

Dave

Thanks Dave.  Maybe because my focus is out of whack!  Nah--can't be that far off. ......can it??

Rodd

2 hours ago, Rodd said:

No doubt.  We'll have to petition the big guy upstairs to turn it around!

Rodd

HAHA! Most of the gods supposedly have granted their followers free will.....press "rotate counter-clockwise" and realise your power ?

David

Archived