Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

This was taken over 4 nights between the 24th September and 6th October as I have a small windows to view objects in the south due to houses and a great big tree getting in the way.

Messier 2, also known as NGC7089 is a globular cluster in the constellation of Aquarius. It is one of the largest know globular clusters and was discovered in 1746 by Giovanni Domenico Maraldi. It lies approximately 55000 ly away and is around 174 ly across.

M2b - Watermarked.png

• Like 6

Well done Mark,a nice picture.

Bob..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bob-c said:

Well done Mark,a nice picture.

Bob..

Thanks Bob! it was a bit of a game getting this one to say the least.

It's a very good image indeed.

6 hours ago, Ruud said:

It's a very good image indeed.

Hi Ruud,

Thank you very much. It was quite a fight to get enough data in the small window I have between the trees and houses in that part of the sky especially at when I took it, it was having to wait for it to get dark enough too, narrowing the available imaging time even more.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Philip Terry
      Not as spectacular as M13 a few nights ago, but comes up nicely with Samsung Galaxy S10 and an 8" SCT. Conditions were a bit iffy.

• By procky1845
      Hi,
      A few sketches from last night 2x Mars and also one of M2.
      1st Mars one was in poor seeing, 2nd was better.
      M2 view was affected by heavy moonlight.
      Also observed (but didn't sketch) some Hercules doubles, Uranus, Neptune and also M45 by naked eye.
      Best night for a while!
      Lee

• By JackCooke
      A quick sketch from the 1st September (sorry - date is wrong on the image). 
      M15 was still fairly low in the east but the central condensation of stars really stood out, even in a 5.5inch scope. The bright field star intruding on the edge of the image was distracting. If I had a tracking mount I'd have banished it permanently!
      A lot of the extended GC was on the threshold of vision and the resolved stars faded in and out. 
      M15 will always have a special place for me as it was the first GC i ever saw 😍 
      Thanks for looking. 
      Jack

• By JackCooke
      After many weeks of telescopes gathering dust I finally managed a long night sketching under the stars. 
      Having only ever sketched open clusters I wanted to attempt a GC. Hercules was well positioned so I chose to draw m92, often overshadowed by the more famous m13. 
      My red torch was a little too bright and there was some intermittent cloud but the sketch comes pretty close to what I saw. All comments / criticisms / comparisons most welcome!
      Jack
      p.s. As I was packing up around midnight I saw what I can only assume were parts of a meteorite breaking up in the sky. A long trail of five to ten separate glowing dots moved eastward through cygnus toward the horison. It was like watching several satellites following each other in an absolutely straight line. Anyone else see this or remember something similar? 

• By floastro
      Hi Guys,
      I present you the second image taken with my Moravian G4-16000 camera mounted on my modified TeleVue NP101is.
      Images and technical information below.

M13 globular cluster and its galactic area :

Full Resolution image 4k x 4k here :  www.poigetdigitalpics.com/G4-16000/M13.htm

Full Resolution image here :  http://www.poigetdigitalpics.com/Fichiers_Divers/M13new_image_Annotated.jpg

Enjoy ?

Florent

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.