Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Want to get new refractor

I want to upgrade from my ES ED102. Budget is no longer an issue. I have already thought about weight, mounts, yada-yada-yada. I'd like to develop a list of great refractors that I can be on the lookout for on AM, CN, etc. I'm also ready to purchase new. APO is required.

Target specs are simple.

Aperture:  125mm - 140mm

Focal ratio:  f/6 - f/10

Please make a convincing case for your suggestions.

38 minutes ago, japacheze said:

I want to upgrade from my ES ED102. Budget is no longer an issue. I have already thought about weight, mounts, yada-yada-yada. I'd like to develop a list of great refractors that I can be on the lookout for on AM, CN, etc. I'm also ready to purchase new. APO is required.

Target specs are simple.

Aperture:  125mm - 140mm

Focal ratio:  f/6 - f/10

Please make a convincing case for your suggestions. 

Not sure why it's black. Quoted and edited to white....

In terms of recommendations, I find my TMB/LZOS 130mm triplet absolutely superb as a visual scope :smiley:

At F/9.2 it is probably a little "slow" if imaging is the main purpose. There is an F/6 version of the scope available though.

With no limit on the budget there are lots of options available ranging from APM's ED doublets at 140mm and 152mm to exotica such as the Takahashi TOA 130 and the TEC 140.

Not a decision to be rushed I'd suggest - have fun doing the research !

You could look for an old FC125 or a FS128 / FS152 on the second hand market. Alternatively a TSA120 is well worth considering even though its 5mm less aperture than your lower end spec. Honestly, the loss of five millimetres will make absolutely zero noticeable difference in performance.

Well as I am spending your money......

1. TEC 140 - oiled, proven optics, excellent FT focuser.

2. CFF 140 - oiled, proven optics, excellent FT focuser.

3. Takahashi TOA 130 - air spaced, proven optics - can be fitted with FT focuser.

4. APM 130 - air spaced, proven optics - can be fitted with FT focuser.

They are all good at this level.

Another top quality scope (possibly the most sought after in the 125mm to 140mm range) is the Astro Physics 130GTX F6.3. 

I had the TEC 140 and the AP130GTX at the same time and slightly preferred the design and views through the AP. Both fantastic scopes though and you wouldn’t go wrong with either. The TEC 140 has just changed from FPL-53 glass to fluorite. Initial tests on the Cloudy nights forum suggest that the new version gives virtually the same views as the old version.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/636261-tec-140fl-evaluation/

Archived