Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Anyone up for an observing session on Sat?

AdeKing

Weather forecast for Saturday evening is currently looking quite good from 20:00.

Can I interest anyone in meeting up for an observing session.

Maybe Badbury Rings or possibly Swanage Way.

If you're interested, let me know.

Ade

19 minutes ago, Dave1 said:

Yes I'd be up for it, just need to see if I can borrow a car! If I can I will definably be there. Badbury rings? I'll bring my Skylight 4" F15.

Dave

Badbury Rings car park just off the road between Wimborne and Blandford Forum (B3082).  I'll get there for about 19:30 so long as the forecast remains good.

https://goo.gl/maps/6PU6CKLwjQy

Looking forward to it, but will keep an eye on the weather forecast.

2 hours ago, kev100 said:

Hi Ade,

Ordinarily I'd jump at this, but I'm afraid I'm busy on Saturday. Next time!

Kev

No Worries Kev, hopefully next time.

I know it was fairly short notice, but I figured that there was less chance of the forecast changing dramatically over the course of 24 hours.

The car park is good so long as there aren't loads of cars in there. If imaging you may want to go onto the grass behind the bushes to escape the glare.

Last time only 2 cars moved in a 4 hour session.

5 minutes ago, BinocularSky said:

We used to do a Stargazing Live public event there for Kingston Lacy. We set up  between the first and second banks; it's reasonably flat and you're protected by the bank from the worst excesses of carpark lights. (Round about the middle of https://goo.gl/maps/8MhfSmoCiK52)

Thanks Steve, I'll take a look thus evening if the forecast is right and the rain stops and clouds clear.

Weather forecast has deteriorated slightly with clear outside now showing partly cloudy between 20:00 and 23:00 whereas earlier it was clear from 20:00.

I'm still going to chance it but won't be offended if others drop out.

Thanks very much for the meet. It was very fun & intriguing first time for me. 

Also the 550D I had field tested - managed to get 2 different exposure angles after some teething issues.
https://imgur.com/a/tVnaszO
Despite me mucking it about, the camera has done better than I have expected.

Think I might focus on star trail / time lapse next time, but first of all I need to invest in a red head light.  ? 
(and flip the AZ GTI back to old firmware because having a bottom red dot finder makes my back cry)

Thanks to @Panda Alvin and @prusling for braving the wind last night and meeting up at Badbury Rings. 

I had a good evening and hope that the others did too.

We used the cars as windbreaks and spent the evening cowering behind them to keep the scopes, cameras and ourselves out of the rather brisk northerly wind to make the most of the beautifully clear sky.

I kept to relatively simple targets and managed to see both Uranus and Neptune as well as Mars and a handful of favourite targets including:

M31, M45, Double Cluster, M13, M92, M36, M37, M38, Albireo and Almach.

It wasn't a night for dedicated planetary or close doubles observing buy I was satisfied with what I achieved.

Hopefully we'll have less wind next time. I'd forgotten how exposed Badbury Rings is.

Thanks guys.

Glad you all had a good session. 

I was gutted when I went out later on to see it so clear. The humidity was fairly low, and the jet stream speed was also low. Apart from the wind it should of been a very good session. 

Dave

1 hour ago, Dave1 said:

Glad you all had a good session. 

I was gutted when I went out later on to see it so clear. The humidity was fairly low, and the jet stream speed was also low. Apart from the wind it should of been a very good session. 

Dave

Yes, the wind was a killer. I only took a ST102 as I figured that the ED100 would be too long and act like a sail, so your f15 would have been a definite no go.

Hopefully we'll get up there again soon. 

Ade

Many thanks to Ade and Alvin for your company.

Here is the Summer Triangle I captured on what was a not-very-Summer'y evening - fortunately my rig seemed to be unaffected by the wind.

Looking forward to the next one!

2102651062_SummerTrianglefull.thumb.jpg.d14eff36396d9348dd5ddb5e705c9465.jpg 

3 hours ago, prusling said:

Many thanks to Ade and Alvin for your company.

Here is the Summer Triangle I captured on what was a not-very-Summer'y evening - fortunately my rig seemed to be unaffected by the wind.

Looking forward to the next one!

2102651062_SummerTrianglefull.thumb.jpg.d14eff36396d9348dd5ddb5e705c9465.jpg 

That's very impressive Peter, especially given the brisk northerly wind.

Archived