NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A question that only makes sense here.....

Helen

Should I flock  my dewshield?????

As a bit of background to my fun afternoon so far... my Obsession Ultra Compact achieves some of its ultra-compactness by having the secondary mounted above the top retaining ring.  This might be great in dry climates, but not so good for Welsh conditions!  I've added a dewheater to the secondary which should help, but thought a dewshield would also be useful.  The shape of the top ring makes ready made dewshields a bit challenging to adapt, so I'd decided a simple kydex dewshield would do.  But have had many challenges trying to get a big enough piece of kydex.  I even contemplated the standard camping mat alternative.  Then on Saturday while mooching around Trago Mills I noticed some A3 presentation folders with just the material and right size covers to canabalise for a dewshield ? Result - and they only cost £2.70 each ? 

IMG_20180924_135313.thumb.jpg.c9da2bda2f4f32e0c9ff35c625a21f6f.jpg

So this afternoon armed with a scissors and loads of velcro I have made a prototype dewshield.  I was going to join the 3 bits together, but I think it will be easier to handle as 3 separate bits.  That means I need to add a few more bits of velcro vertically to make the joins. 

IMG_20180924_155414.thumb.jpg.45505d4f0e96c2abb7bdf3b082717c3b.jpg

But before I do that I wondered about whether I need to flock?  The plastic is not particularly shiny, but not matt either.  Flocking would add some weight, although I don't think that's a problem (the UC are designed to be completely bottom heavy - huge mirror weight- and have a mechanism for adding weight at the top cage if necessary).

Views?

Next job is to sew the shroud (as you can see currently pinned together), and then work out how to get a right-angled finder attached.  Then will be ready for SGL2018 :hello2:

Thanks

Helen

Archived