Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount & supplier frustration - Any ideas?

parallaxerr

On 18/09/2018 at 14:54, parallaxerr said:

So, can anyone tell me - is there an off the shelf, NON-MARRING VIXEN clamp with M6 counterbored, 35mm spaced holes? Oh and before you say ADM, yeah, try finding one of those in stock this side of the Atlantic.

Yes, the Berlebach clamps mentioned by @Stu are very good, as are these:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7887_TS-Optics-Optics-XL-Premium-Dovetail-Clamp-adaption-for-big-telescopes-and-cameras.html

I've had all these working happily on an Ercole.

DSC_0309_1.thumb.JPG.f5700495d15296b7da9c58fcc4c1b2b4.JPG

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, got there in the end. ADM clamp was delivered courtesy of @FLOthis morning. Steve, I'm happy to say that the condition is just fine, better in fact than the photos suggested.

M8 thread re-assignment surgery is now complete and Ercole & clamp are now one, or they will be when I get home anyway. It all feels very solid and I'm looking forward to hanging the frac off it tonight :) 

20180920_121406.jpg

20180920_121517.jpg

20180920_121526.jpg

Very nice setup !

I do find that I need a counterweight when I use my Ercole with my ED120 though, to make it really smooth in motion. This is the 2nd Ercole that I've owned where I found this to be the case. Maybe they vary a little unit to unit in this ?

1 minute ago, John said:

Very nice setup !

I do find that I need a counterweight when I use my Ercole with my ED120 though, to make it really smooth in motion. This is the 2nd Ercole that I've owned where I found this to be the case. Maybe they vary a little unit to unit in this ?

Thanks John. I've got a counterweight shaft inbound so I'll be testing it balanced soon. Just very suprised how smooth it is even without it :)

5 minutes ago, John said:

Very nice setup !

I doubt they vary that much John, I’m sure that a counterweight will make it even smoother.

6 minutes ago, Stu said:

I doubt they vary that much John, I’m sure that a counterweight will make it even smoother.

Probably not thinking about it. The machining quality is very high of the Giros and Ercoles. The Ercole looks a bit of a prop from Star Wars in it's looks and finish - if Darth Vader used an alt-az mount, it would be an Ercole :grin:

53 minutes ago, John said:

Probably not thinking about it. The machining quality is very high of the Giros and Ercoles. The Ercole looks a bit of a prop from Star Wars in it's looks and finish - if Darth Vader used an alt-az mount, it would be an Ercole :grin:

Haha I do seem to have a Darth Vader theme going on with my scopes. They obviously belong "on the dark skyde".

@parallaxerrI do like your set up.  Is your Ercole attached to a Skywatcher EQ5 16" extension tube and AZ4 tripod?  

Was looking at doing something similar by adding an extension tube to my Skytee 2 / AZ4 tripod combination, however the Skytee is a big lump already, and with my dodgy back I don't want to make my set up any heavier....hmmm?   Could the Ercole be my next upgrade if its a lot lighter than the Skytee?  

45 minutes ago, jock1958 said:

Is your Ercole attached to a Skywatcher EQ5 16" extension tube and AZ4 tripod?

It's the Orion Sirius/HEQ5 16" extension, not sure if that's the same as the EQ5 one, maybe heavier? It's a lump.

Also my tripod is a 2" Celestron CG5, so significantly larger and heavier than the AZ4.

To my surprise, I can actually lift the whole lot, scope included, however, my back is OK (at the moment...touching wood). The tripod, extension and mount alone are no problem.

13 minutes ago, parallaxerr said:

It's the Orion Sirius/HEQ5 16" extension, not sure if that's the same as the EQ5 one, maybe heavier? It's a lump.

Also my tripod is a 2" Celestron CG5, so significantly larger and heavier than the AZ4.

To my surprise, I can actually lift the whole lot, scope included, however, my back is OK (at the moment...touching wood). The tripod, extension and mount alone are no problem.

Thanks @parallaxerr take it your extension tube is made of steel not aluminium? 

31 minutes ago, Stu said:

The extension tubes are very heavy, I have a few including the 16”, made of steel for stability I guess.

16” steel extension tube sounds a bit OTT and heavy for my needs, something in the range of 8” - 10” would be much better, wonder if it’s possible to use the end fittings off the 16” extension and source some aluminium tube with same internal / external dimensions as the steel tube? 

As far as stability goes I think it would be ok with Skytee on top 

4 hours ago, jock1958 said:

16” steel extension tube sounds a bit OTT and heavy for my needs, something in the range of 8” - 10” would be much better, wonder if it’s possible to use the end fittings off the 16” extension and source some aluminium tube with same internal / external dimensions as the steel tube? 

If you can find the right tubing, that should work. Or you could cut down the tubing supplied with the 16" pillar extension (the Orion one is the same as the Skywatcher one). What you don't want to do, obviously, is to introduce some slight weakness into the mounting system creating more chance for vibration.

Archived