Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Kielder

Maddison

Hi all,iam up at kielder village at the moments 2nights, the forecast was for cloudy skies and rain this weekend I was gobsmacked when I come out the anglers arms,clear very dark skies awesome.  Got my binoculars started having look around, found m31 looked for m51 couldn’t see it. There was so many stars it was quite hard to make out the constellations, still a nice problem to have. Can’t recommend this place enough, if anyone is thinking of coming here it’s a special dark sky site. Regards          

Barry

Hi I live about an hour from there and yes your are right the skies are amazing anywhere within the Northumberland dark sky sites are amazing most of the hadrians wall and from wark up is just as good

Thanks stuart

Yep!, Kielder is the place to be for both Observers and Imagers, providing the weather cooperates.
It's a pity they can't improve the facilities there. Electric hook ups would be a big help, and better prepared ground for tent dwellers.
I'm not sure how such improvements could be funded though. Perhaps restrictions are in place to prevent any 
interference with the Observatory though. it's a while since I visited there, and I live quite close too.

The dark skies in Kielder are incredible. We visit once a year and this year took the kids to the observatory for a family astronomy evening which was amazing. Will have to go back and to the observatory when it's dark!

Archived