Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 - Andromeda Galaxy (very annoying)

JDWolf

I have had my scope for around 3 year now and have tried my hardest to find Andromeda. I had no luck what so ever until Tuesday, when i spent quite a bit of time trying to find it. Was blown away by the galaxy when i final did see it and really didn't want to stop viewing it.

Now for the annoying bit. Last night i went out for just a quick look around while the kettle boiled. Took my 9x50 Finderscope from my scope with me and thought to myself, 'I wonder if i can find Andromeda'. Two seconds later there it was in my field of view. Couldn't believe how easy it was to find! I am now wondering how i missed it some many times!

I know how you feel.... finding something the first time is hardest. If you are starhopping it should be quite easy - m31 actually shows in my 8x50 finder and I have very lp'd skies (london)

did you see m32 too...? (small, round, fuzzy, quite bright - a little above and to the left of m31 if you're looking through a non-corrected newt)

dan

Pretty sure i didn't see M32. Going to have a look again in a few days and see if i can see it.

Chris : Took me ages to find it and then really did find it by chance. What finder do you have? As i found it using my 9x50 first. Also start hoping is defiantly the way to go, i have some pdf files with maps of all the stars down to 7 mag on. Very useful and help to understand what i am seeing!

I've been trying to find it too, but still no luck. I no roughlt where it should be but don't seem able to locate it. Either that or I'm seeing it and just not realising it! :)

Are you using a red dot finder (like a Telrad?)

Completely changed my success rate in tracking things down...

I find M31 is one of the easier things to find. It's definitely visible in my 9x50 finder (as a faint grey smudge of course). I start from the bright star in Andromeda that the right (or top at the moment) "V" in Cass points to, then move towards Cass and slightly right to another star that's clearly visible in the finder, keep going to a 2nd similar star, then M31 is slightly past and to one side.

Trev

I'm using the red-dot finder on my Nexstar 4SE. I've even tried looking with binoculars but no luck (as far as I'm aware!) How does it compare, in terms of brightness and size, etc, with something like the Orion Nubula that I saw the other night?

I've been trying to find it too, but still no luck. I no roughlt where it should be but don't seem able to locate it. Either that or I'm seeing it and just not realising it! :)

You will know it when you see it.

And as soon as you know where it is, the next time it's straight there.

Archived