Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

I recently tried imaging M7 with my 6" f/4 Newtonian. I had earlier commimated it with a Cheshire and Howie Glatter and was sure of the collimation. However, when I imaged using my DSLR with the coma corrector installed, I get focused stars off centre and not on the optical axis. Anyone experience anything similar before? What could this be? Tilt in the optical train? The focuser was drawn out only about 5mm to reach focus along with a 50mm extension tube. Any suggestion is welcome.

M7Offcentered coma.jpg

Coma doesn't seem to be fully corrected either. Just a suggestion -the GSO CC spec I found online says 75mm spacing - I understand from the top of the CC lens to the camera focal plane. Is this how it is installed?

19 hours ago, bobro said:

Coma doesn't seem to be fully corrected either. Just a suggestion -the GSO CC spec I found online says 75mm spacing - I understand from the top of the CC lens to the camera focal plane. Is this how it is installed?

Yes, to achieve the 75mm spacing, I have done the following.

1) 44mm from Canon DSLR flange to sensor

2) 11mm T-Ring

3) 20mm T-Thread extension rings.

I am assuming the coma corrector is slightly tilted. I have to verify it through tests.

On 06/09/2018 at 14:00, astrosathya said:

Yes, to achieve the 75mm spacing, I have done the following.

1) 44mm from Canon DSLR flange to sensor

2) 11mm T-Ring

3) 20mm T-Thread extension rings.

I am assuming the coma corrector is slightly tilted. I have to verify it through tests.

I'm having the same issue. Did you figure it out?

Edited by Anthony RS

On ‎27‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 16:30, Anthony RS said:

I'm having the same issue. Did you figure it out?

not yet, skies are very cloudy

On 30/09/2018 at 14:43, astrosathya said:

not yet, skies are very cloudy

Ok, would appreciate if you let me know if you've figured it out. I'm not sure also if it's due to spacing or some tilt.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Astrofriend
      I continue my reports from observatories I have visited. This one is very special for me, I did my education in astrophysics at this place in the 1990s. My girlfriend and I took the car this weekend and visited Saltsjöbaden for a walk, only 30 km from where we live. We ended the walk up at the Stockholm's Observatory.
      Some photos from this beautiful place:
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/saltsjobaden-observatory/01-stockholms-observatory.html
      One of the observatories at this photos is the astrograph which I already earlier had written about.
      http://www.astrofriend.eu/astronomy/observatory-sites/saltsjobaden-astrograph/saltsjobaden-astrograph.html
      Lars
    • By starman-scott
      Hi, I have changed the focuser on my newtonian but its too short.
      I realise that I can just add an extension tube to it but I’m not sure if that is the best solution.
      I also seem to have have a stray light problem (I’m getting a hazy image on a 5mm eyepiece).
      A third problem is that I find it quite cumbersome that the focuser has to stick out so far (155mm+eyepiece).
      I wonder if I might solve the stay light problem by extending the main telescope tube instead of the focuser and therefore getting the eyepiece closer to the secondary. And also maintain more precision in the focuser by not extending it.
      As it stands the focuser would have to come out 265mm from the centre of the secondary mirror in order to focus. The secondary is 50mm wide. From primary to secondary is 950mm approx.. The primary is 200mm Thanks for reading. Any advice will be much appreciated.

• By StarMich
      I'm aiming for the best possible field illumination for my Explore Scientific PN208 f/3.9 imaging newtonian. The scope is 5 years old now and while doing maintenance I wanted to do something about the design flaws as well.

With the current secondary holder design it's impossible to center the mirror beneath the focuser. My question is: is this really an issue when the entire primary is visible? I read about optimal field illumination when the secondary is centered, but this isn't achievable with this telescope.

I attached an image showing the (very bad aligned and already degrading) secondary at the moment. This is as far down as I can go, I would need to replace the holder screws with longer threads to go further but I don't know if it would make any difference for field illumination?

Thanks in advance,
      Michael

• By runway77
      Hello, I am having a problem with a relatively expensive flat field eyepiece in a combination with a newtonian reflector. I am unable to achieve proper focus with that eyepiece because when I focus it on axis, the edges are blurry. When I focus it at the edge, the center field is out of focus. I don't want to mention the concrete type of this eyepiece because I received it with a spot on the bottom barrel, therefore I cannot be sure whether it has been dropped. This eyepiece has very good reviews on this forum. Optically it looks good and there is no rattle. My question is whether these flat field eyepieces are usable with newtonians as these telescopes doesn't generally suffer from the field curvature. Many thanks for help.
    • By Anthony RS
      I'm selling my my 70mm secondary mirror I used with my 150mm F4 newtonian for 100$ (final price). Shipping expenses (from Beirut, Lebanon) on me for free provided I use LibanPost for shipping. We can discuss using other shipping methods and maybe splitting the cost.
      The mirror is brand new, still have the original package and box, bought the telescope a month ago and used only twice. No scratches, not even dust (images attached). Excellent mirror, no issues whatsoever, 94% reflectivity and optimized for the offset of f / 4 Newtons, but it can be used up to f / 5. It's from TS, made in Taiwan, original price is 134 euros (including VAT) excluding shipping and custom fees. Link below:
      https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p10673_TS-Optics-Newton-Fangspiegel-D---70-mm-mit-Halter.html
      It does not come with the tilt screws and center screw though unfortunately.
      I can also sell you the spider vanes (1mm thickness) for 6 inch newtonian for 25USD. Also brand new but without the tilt screws and adjustment screws. https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11056_TS-Optics-Spinne-fuer-6--Newtons---164-mm-bis-180-mm-Tubus-Innendurchmesser.html
      Let me know if interested.
      Clear Skies!
      Anthony
      <private email address removed>

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.