Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy EQ part 1 polar alignment

Using an equatorial mount is something that many folks find frustrating. It can be confusing if you don't have an experienced person right there. There are tons of articles on the net or in books that explains how to use it. The problem with these is they often leave the scope operator more confused than before they read them. My intention with the Easy EQ series is to give simple step by step instructions. This is for manual EQs and not for gotos. I'll also be describing the different things between old and new style mounts when necessary. The most important part of each step is the first sentence. The rest is just explanation and tips. Let's get started!

Polar alignment:

1- find a fairly level area with a good view of the northern sky (at least of Polaris). It doesn't have to be perfectly level since you can adjust this on the tripod.

2- place the designated "north" leg of the tripod facing north. If you have an older style then you probably won't have a leg labeled north. That's ok. Just pick one to be your north leg. This is one of the differences between the old and new styles. On many older setups the mount can swivel 360°. On newer styles they can only move about 10 to 20° before the movement stops. There are either adjustment bolts or a locking knob to make "horizontal" movements for  this. Once done you should have a leg north, a leg southeast, and a leg southwest. You can confirm approximate leg position with a compass if you like. It doesn't need to be perfect just close. Magnetic north isn't true north, but it's close enough. I tend to use a compass when setting up at a new site in the day time.

3- level the mount and tripod. New styles tend to have a bubble level you can watch as you adjust leg length. Adjust whatever leg you need to so the setup is level. If you have an older style without a bubble level, you can get a small level at the hardware store. If you get a small level make sure you use it on at least 3 places on the tripod, usually over the legs, to confirm that it's level.

4- place the mount into alignment position and also adjust you latitude. If you don't know what this is I'll explain it. You basically want the mount to be pointing up and to the north. Some mounts will have markings that let you know when it's in position. Some don't have this, but it's not a big deal. You can just eyeball it so it's close. You can use RA/DEC to fine tune the eyeballing. Once in position DON'T touch the RA/DEC again till after alignment. The latitude will be adjusted using the latitude scale and adjustment bolts/knobs. 

5- place the weights and tube on the mount and look in the finder scope for Polaris. I'm assuming that you already have the finder scope aligned. If Polaris isn't in the finder, site down the finder and use the latitude and horizontal adjustments/knobs to get there lined up. Should only need small adjustments if any. Avoid any major adjustments on these axis when you have the weight and tube on the mount. Small occasion adjustments are ok, but large constant ones can mess up your mount eventually.

6- once Polaris is centered in the finder scope, then center it in the EP of the main tube using the LAT/HOR adjustments. Remember, small adjustments under weight is ok. You are now polar aligned! You are good to go for viewing. If you are aligning for AP, you'll need to wait a bit and see if Polaris is still approximately centered or moved a lot. I'm not an AP guy, but I know there are a lot of experienced AP folks on the forum that can guide you.

If you have a regular place to observe from then consider marking the spots your tripod feet touch. For example, I tend to observe from my deck. I have marked where my tripod sits. Initially I marked around the feet, then drove in nails. Nails are permanent, drawn marks wash away.

I hope this post has helped. I hope it wasn't confusing. I tried to keep it simple and easy to understand. Let me know what you think. If it has helped then I'll followup with one on setting circles.

Thanks y'all,

Rob

26 minutes ago, LightBucket said:

Nice write up, just one thing, an EQ Mount does not have to be that level, close will do as it’s sorted during the PA... :)

Your right it doesn't have to be perfect much like everything else when aligning for visual. I like to get everything as perfect as I can. That way I only need to deal with RA when I'm observing and sketching. I've followed objects for hours and only touched the RA. 

26 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

I would polar align before putting weights and scope on especially with the Chinese bendy bolts. Once done give a quick check and adjust if necessary.

That can be an issue especially when making large adjustments. Any adjustments needed should  be tiny. I'm glad you mentioned that because it reminded me of something I forgot to mention in that section. If at a new location, set the the latitude slightly above the locations. That way when the adjustment is made, the weight of the setup does the work and takes stress off the bendy bolts. :)

24 minutes ago, Greymouser said:

Very useful, thanks.?

Another on the use of setting circles would be good too please, especially when I consider the ones I have used are tiny! ?

Will do. You'll be surprised at how well they can work, even if not as precise as huge expensive circles. That post shouldn't be nearly as long as this one since it's so simple and to the point. If my phone isn't being cantankerous, I try to have pictures with the post.

Rob

When siting the mount, allow for magnetic variation

Where I am magnetic variation is 11 deg east, and offset north leg, that amount, when sighting the mount using a compass

I normally stand back about 10 paces, and sight through the EQ mount

Southern Hemisphere, north leg faces south

John

2 hours ago, Greymouser said:

Thank you. ?

You mention huge circles, does that mean you can upgrade a mount too, to larger circles to make things easier?

I was referring to the circles on "smaller" professional observatories. I've never heard of anyone upgrading setting circles on a run of the mill mount. No need to. We can still use the small commercial circles easily.

2 hours ago, cletrac1922 said:

Rob

When siting the mount, allow for magnetic variation

Where I am magnetic variation is 11 deg east, and offset north leg, that amount, when sighting the mount using a compass

I normally stand back about 10 paces, and sight through the EQ mount

Southern Hemisphere, north leg faces south

John

Thanks for bringing that up John. Yes allow for the variation. I'm fortunate that where I live the variation isn't much. Another option, unfortunately not always the cheapest, is a good military grade compass. They have set screws for making variation adjustments in the area of operations. Fortunately a compass isn't necessary for setting up at night. Also thanks for mentioning the southern setup. I haven't had the opportunity to do southern observations, but hope to do so some day.

Its easier to align the two back legs East-West with a straight edge. First align the straightedge by compass then set up the back legs along the straight edge. And in the southern hemisphere a compass is really the only option as there is no bright pole star.

20 hours ago, Kn4fty said:

I was referring to the circles on "smaller" professional observatories. I've never heard of anyone upgrading setting circles on a run of the mill mount. No need to. We can still use the small commercial circles easily.

Thanks for bringing that up John. Yes allow for the variation. I'm fortunate that where I live the variation isn't much. Another option, unfortunately not always the cheapest, is a good military grade compass. They have set screws for making variation adjustments in the area of operations. Fortunately a compass isn't necessary for setting up at night. Also thanks for mentioning the southern setup. I haven't had the opportunity to do southern observations, but hope to do so some day.

Rob

Sure Kens and I be happy to do a laser show with you down under

Saturday 15th, club belong to on the Goldcoast, is conducting a public viewing night titled Saturn in the Park

Last night had to cancel presentation for 30 Joey's, scout movement, due to overcast conditions, will reschedule

Couple of weeks ago, did a presentation for a school northern end of Goldcoast for 20 Japanese's exchange students

They wanted to observe the Southern Cross

Had Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars that night as well, and viewed Jupiter and Saturn

Did a laser show pointing out Southern Cross and Scorpio

Then view Jewel Box within the Southern Cross, which is not visible Northern Hemisphere, then went to Omega Centauri, not sure visible where you are, and finally Butterfly Cluster adjacent to Antares, in Scorpio

So rewarding working with the our youth of today

Link to our club website  http://sas.org.au/

Kens, if you make it up this way, welcome to come to club meet

John

That would be awesome! Hope someday to to make it there to do that. It's definitely on my bucket list to do some observations in the southern hemisphere. Thanks for the invite. I'll take you up on it someday.

Archived