NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Short session with the 130p flextube

Eastman

Hello All,

Finally some clear skies tonight and the moon far below the horizon. Little time but I want to get out so the SW 130p flextube is the weapon of choice.

M57 Showing a nice clear donut. 81X

M71 with 81X just starting to resolve, nice one.

M13 beautiful as ever, at this time I had a visit of a hedgehog, he did't stay long my cat carefully chase him away, I guess they met before hahaha.

M27 showing some darker pieces, nice details in that one. 81X

NGC 6760 (new) a faint Globular in Aquila, not much to see. Still I am impressed of this little scoop its a magnitude 9.10 glob.

M11 Wild duck cluster always like that center star in it.

NGC 6712 (new) a faint fuzzy Globular in Scutum.

M26 Open cluster in Scutum.

Veil Nebula? And then I was in for a suprise, I want to take a look at the Veil Nebula using the Olll filter. I did not expect much of it. Always thought it was only usefull for 8" and bigger scopes. But I tried it anyway. Pointing the reddotfinder on the right spot and...…..nothing. Move the scoop a little to the right and there it was. The west side of the Veil clearly visible move futher to the east and there the broomstick made its appearance. I must say I am really impressed the veil from my backyard with the 130p. Sure not as spectacular as in the 250mm dob but the east and west part are in within reach with the 130p. 20X

Thanks for reading.

Lots of nice targets in there! Aperture can make LESS of a difference than you might expect. In fact the 130mm can show the veil just as brightly as the big dob can, just at half the size. The brightness of extended objects is limited by the physiology of your eye (pupil size) and not by the size of your telescope.

I'm staying up for comet 21P, although I see the Moon is glaring down into my garden now. I caught some old favorites earlier, M31, Almach and the Double Cluster.

Great stuff! Let’s continue to dispel the rumour that OIII filters are no good in anything under 8” scopes, it is not true. As Ags says, it is more to do with the exit pupil used and the resulting image scale. Get to 4 or 5mm if you can ie low power and see what can be done. I’ve used them in scopes down to 66mm, yes the view can be dark and you need good dark adaptation but they still have a positive impact.

11 hours ago, Ags said:

In fact the 130mm can show the veil just as brightly as the big dob can, just at half the size. The brightness of extended objects is limited by the physiology of your eye (pupil size) and not by the size of your telescope.

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

I also saw the Veil a couple of nights ago with my  Heritage 130P,  the UHCE filter helped

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Let’s continue to dispel the rumour that OIII filters are no good in anything under 8” scopes, it is not true.

Well thats good news for the smaller aperture scoop owners. Lets spread the word, because I think that a lot of telescoop owners dont know this. Thanks.

On 01/09/2018 at 17:15, Eastman said:

NGC 6760 (new) a faint Globular in Aquila, not much to see. Still I am impressed of this little scoop its a magnitude 9.10 glob.

M11 Wild duck cluster always like that center star in it.

While in those neighborhoods I would try the dark nebs near Tarazed in Aquila B142,B143. The Heritage does great on these. When near the Wild Duck I always pop down to the Eagle neb and the Swan, another couple that are vg in the H130. Well, the Lagoon is great in it too...

We use a 24 mm ES68 and 18mm BCO with the filter.

Great report Gert.

44 minutes ago, jetstream said:

While in those neighborhoods I would try the dark nebs near Tarazed in Aquila B142,B143. The Heritage does great on these. When near the Wild Duck I always pop down to the Eagle neb and the Swan, another couple that are vg in the H130. Well, the Lagoon is great in it too...

Thanks Gerry, I will keep those in mind and for sure pay them a visit next time.

Archived