Comet 21P Giacobini-Zinner timelapse

I've recently signed up to the Slooh.com astronomer package and while you don't have the control and the option to capture any really long subs that you get with iTelescope, you do have potentially 20 hours per day imaging time, unlimited 'missions' (slots) and they've got some pretty decent gear. Their big scope on El Teide doesn't do well in the wind, so you lose a fair amount of subs but what you do get out of it is pretty good. For 20 quid a month you can't go wrong.

While I'm waiting for the big scope to provide some data for a project I'm working on I decided to fill in with this one captured on one of their other rigs.

It's 23 mins in 15x50s subs with their 11" Rowe Ackerman Schmidt Astrograph, details below.

I did 3 versions - colour, mono and inverted. I stretched the mono and invert a fair bit more than the colour for tail detail.

There's vignetting and flicker but for single subs I'm pretty happy. I might run this again and stack pairs to give me a little more processing leeway.

Telescope Manufacturer: Celestron

Effective Aperture: 279mm (11")

Focal Length: 620mm

Native Focal Ratio: f/2.22

Camera Manufacturer: Celestron

Camera Model: Nightscape 8300 Colour

Image Horiz FOV (Arcmin): 99

Image Vert FOV (Arcmin): 75

Image Resolution: 3326x2504

281980342_21pcolour.gif.a95b9761a1a7c834e0819f66629157ab.gif

21p-mono.gif.ea57e97bdac3299395e4d2e42100e1dc.gif21p-invert.gif.d96ec181bdde654f84c37a80665e47ee.gif

This is just for fun more than anything. Somebody in another dark corner of the web suggested he thought the tail might be curved. So I stretched the living daylights out of the comet luminance layer (the result of aligning on the comet and stacking with kappa-sigma) 

I've overlaid what I think is the curvature.

21p-poss-curved-tail.thumb.gif.f27b3673c3dd6da2b899233d22d25c9b.gif

Archived