NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Finder choices.....

Hi all,

Bit of background info first.

Having problems auto aligning my Meade 8" LX90GPS. Works at home Liverpool, but not at my site in Hadnall. Doesn't do LNT, not level and never finds north, just spins around like a dalek!  Thought LNT module was duff or damaged in transport. Tried everything, then noticed my phone was off north too, tried two other phones, none of the three ever showed same north at same time, even after calibration.

Then to my amazement one of the phones suddenly flashed up High  Magnetic Anomalies. Moved  20 metres away and ok.

So upshot is that under the ground below where I can view from is either a metal dump or electric cables or some other magnetic force. Can't dig it up, decked over. Can't move further away it's beyond my fence line!!!!!

So now to finders.. Can't get on with the red dot LNT module for alignment, too flimsy and to big a dot and useless for auto align as above.

So want a decent optical finder, to sight and alugn manually so criteria are

About £100 all in. Not straight through back can't contort any more....

So need RA but is RACI really better than just RA for the extra cost.

6x30 is it too small mag, maybe 8x50, 9x50 or look for used 10x60 or is that too big.

Any ideas or what else do I need to consider, some say EPs are fixed, is this ok or not. Looked at DIY, but the mounts are soooooo... expensive too.

Hope this makes sense and look forward to your help.

UPDATE, arghhh

So back in Liverpool and won't auto align.

Set it in home position for reference. Switched on, select automatic align, ota flips vertical while looking for level, leave it and then goes hunting north and app in like a dalek for 25 minutes before I shot it.

Wonder if LNT module is budgeted. Done the usual, stripped it, tested cable rj10/11/12, never remember which one, to board with meter, no breaks or shorts in cable or bad/shorter  solder on pins on board.

Lights up red dot ok, so defo got power.

Scope visuals great LNT back of s#!t.

Even done starpatch update to 43gg and hbx reset, stuck now, any ideas anyone. Other than bin it, get cheap level and compass and do easy or two star alignment, done that and works a treat BUT if its there on scope I wanna get it working, yes I know, mule stubborn as, yes I am, so any pointers welcome.

Archived