Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

TS 80mm finderscope advice

Hi everyone!  Hope you are all well.

I get my 14" OOUK Dobsonian shortly and I'm thinking of adding another upgraded finder to an 80mm version to assist with hunting down faint fuzzies etc.  I am considering the TSFRE80 finder - right angled, 90 degree Amici prism, 1.25" eyepiece attachment.  Got no experience of this setup but hopefully you guys can assist:

• Does anyone have any experience of this model or 80mm finders in general and how do they find them?
  • They state that focus is 3-4mm above receptacle and therefore suitable for Kellner or plossl eyepieces.  They suggest their TSIR20 eyepiece - 23 mm illuminated crosshair.  FL of scope is 330mm which will give 14 times mag which should compliment the existing finder.  It has 55 degree FOV.  Are there any better alternatives that will fit? is 55 degree FOV sufficient for a finder? I don't want to over-complicate this.
  • They do a 35mm extension tube - would that help increase the choice of crosshair eyepieces?
  • They do a 70 degree Erfle - no idea what that is or if it will fit the finder, but that is 20mm so 17x mag but at 70 FOV
  • Trying to find another 80mm finder in the UK is almost impossible as nothing is in stock - the Altair version for example has no expected stocking date anywhere.  One alternative is the APM straight through 80mm finder from the same supplier which is 2 inch.  Would all I need to do is add a Amici prism to turn that into a right angled RACI? Does the 2 inch increase my options or is it not necessary in a finder as it is getting more expensive going down this route?

Many thanks for any help you can give in helping me sort an ideal 80mm finder and matching eyepiece.

Stay safe.

Nic

Think I've decided to go the route of the Orion ST80 as my extra finder.  Please can someone recommend a suitable eyepiece and right angled amici prism for this setup?  I was thinking an ES68 24mm to give 16.7x mag.  The existing finder gives 8x (8x50)....the higher mag should help in the not brilliant skies.  Although shame the 27mm is 2 inch.

I know nothing about right angled amici prisms.

Thanks

Nic