Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Should my DSLR Ha subs look like this?

I am very new to Ha imaging and I am trying to image the heart nebula. This is a single 5 minute frame from a Canon 450d astromodified and an astronomik 12nm ha filter. When I stacked 4 hours worth of data I couldn't even see any hydrogen. 

L_0005_ISO1600_300s__26C.JPG

Platesolve your single frame (upload it to http://nova.astrometry.net, let it solve > view results > view on worldwide telescope, then zoom out with mouse wheel) - I think you’re gonna find you missed your target by a significant margin, and took a photo of a patch of sky containing no H-alpha I’m afraid.

(You were pointing at 02h 33m 48.329s / +70:22:37 whereas Heart Nebula is at 02h33m20s / +61:17:57).

Hi. I'm too new to narrowband with a DSLR. You should definitely see something in your images if your on target. Your picture looks very red. The only time I seen one washed out like that was when I got clouded over. Have you processed your image in any way? Below is a 10 minute sub as it appears straight from my 600D. I'm imaging from my back garden with urban light pollution. Even at 5 minutes I can pick up nebulosity. How have you tried to locate your target?

L_0005_ISO800_600s__17C_2018-08-16_22-34-42.jpg

What sort of mount are you using ?

If it's aligned and has GoTo you can find 52Cyg, HIP102453, SAO70467, the bright star in the West Veil, Witches Broom then nudge around to centre your target.

Dave

Sorry wrong target got confused by the image above :grin:

Archived