Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 power supply

Astrokev

Now that Maplin's are no more & linear suppliers are thinner on the ground, but there's this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Linear-Adjustable-Lab-DC-Bench-Power-Supply-0-30V-0-10A/223038587334?epid=26018329868&hash=item33ee22c1c6:g:oJMAAOSwxLVbIArj You'll have to make up the connection lead

Or a switched mode one i.e. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-3A-10A-Power-Supply-Charger-Adapter-Connector-For-Led-Strip-Flexible-Light/262832879897?hash=item3d320f7919:m:mvO0_evllT_y3QesbwEo2Kg but you'll need to change the output connector to suit your mount 

I have both types & they work very well

10 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

Now that Maplin's are no more & linear suppliers are thinner on the ground, but there's this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Variable-Linear-Adjustable-Lab-DC-Bench-Power-Supply-0-30V-0-10A/223038587334?epid=26018329868&hash=item33ee22c1c6:g:oJMAAOSwxLVbIArj You'll have to make up the connection lead

Or a switched mode one i.e. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-3A-10A-Power-Supply-Charger-Adapter-Connector-For-Led-Strip-Flexible-Light/262832879897?hash=item3d320f7919:m:mvO0_evllT_y3QesbwEo2Kg but you'll need to change the output connector to suit your mount 

I have both types & they work very well

Thanks Julian.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. Nothing too fancy.

They come in a range of amperages - typically 2A - 10A. I read somewhere that the NEQ6 draws only 2-3A. Would getting something like a 12V 10A unit be OK, to ensure there's enough capacity (as you can see, I'm no electrician!).

EDIT - think I've just answered my own question - the amps quoted on the power supply are the maximum that it can deliver, not what it will push to the mount. The mount will pull what it needs, so long as the supply can deliver this, ie. the max amp capacity of the supply is greater than the 2A the mount needs. So, if the mount only needs ~2A, then it will pull only 2A, in which case a 10A supply is fine (correct?).

The supply units on eBay are incredibly cheap compared to similar units on more familiar sites eg. RS-online. This makes me suspicious. I don't want to end up with an inferior supply from the far east that will fail, or worse, after a few hours use!

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Is there anything else I need to look out for regarding spec?

thanks

Capture.JPG

I have 3 of the switched mode bricks & they have never given me any problems. Getting the higher rated ones (current) means that I can easily run additional equipment, e.g. focusers\dew heaters etc. of the one supply.

And as they are much cheaper than Farnel\RS get 2.....

20 hours ago, Astrokev said:

Thanks Julian.

This is the sort of thing I'm looking for. Nothing too fancy.

They come in a range of amperages - typically 2A - 10A. I read somewhere that the NEQ6 draws only 2-3A. Would getting something like a 12V 10A unit be OK, to ensure there's enough capacity (as you can see, I'm no electrician!).

EDIT - think I've just answered my own question - the amps quoted on the power supply are the maximum that it can deliver, not what it will push to the mount. The mount will pull what it needs, so long as the supply can deliver this, ie. the max amp capacity of the supply is greater than the 2A the mount needs. So, if the mount only needs ~2A, then it will pull only 2A, in which case a 10A supply is fine (correct?).

The supply units on eBay are incredibly cheap compared to similar units on more familiar sites eg. RS-online. This makes me suspicious. I don't want to end up with an inferior supply from the far east that will fail, or worse, after a few hours use!

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Is there anything else I need to look out for regarding spec?

thanks

Capture.JPGSame as mine,no problems as yet,and dont really see that changing.

16 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

i try to avoid 240v in the garden especially wet dewey nights 

This will eventually be inside my obsy when it's finished. I have a SW mobile power station for use when away from home (at a star party with power laid on at the camping pitches), but want a back-up in case this runs down in the middle of a session.

MeanWell does very well.

This is just an example: https://www.amazon.com/Meanwell-Waterproof-Warranty-Transformer-Approved/dp/B00GMW1E2I/ref=sr_1_6/131-8825499-7135635?ie=UTF8&qid=1534756038&sr=8-6&keywords=meanwell+12v+power+supply
If you google MeanWell, you will find all kinds of power supplies of good quality.

I would not trust a $1,99 specimen to be honest...

Archived