Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Featureless sleeping Sun..

MarsG76

Hi all,

Have all of you solar observers and imagers experienced a similarity??

I pulled out my solar scope first time in ages, 16th & 17th August.... the last time I looked at the sun in halpha it was covered in sunspots and had flares and prominences all over the rim, filaments stretched on the disc.... yesterday and today... yesterday 1 tiny sunspot visible in white light and barely visible in the solar scope... and today ZERO sunspots... both days no filaments, and no flares or prominences.... 

The sun was near completely featureless. I say NEAR completely featureless because as I was adjusting the etalon looking for prominences, there seemed to be very VERY subtle "cracks" appearing on one edge of the disc, and the disc was not flat, the edges did darken.

The sun is definitely asleep...

1 hour ago, Merlin66 said:

Today, 17th Aug with the SM60/ED80 and the ASI 1600, a couple of interesting small filaments visible and a small "core" in the AR......no significant proms.

Image to follow...

I'm sure that if I imaged it, I could pull out more than what was visible... but I was talking more about whats visible in the eyepiece...

Looking forward to seeing your pics.

2 hours ago, Peter Drew said:

Without wishing to start a "mine's bigger than yours" race, I have to say that a large Ha telescope will usually reveal something of interest.   ?

So exactly what size are we talking about? how big is yours? 

2 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

A self built 6" F10 PST mod with internal Triband ERF, BF5, 2x Skywatcher Barlow and Denkmeier binoviewer. Minimum magnification 150x.

D4m.. 6" solar scope!!! So how easily do you see granulation with that??

I can vouch for Peter's scope, as a high power solar instrument it takes some beating.  The detail in 'small' prominences which would hardly be of note in a smaller solar scope take on a life of their own at higher power and with the resolution the six inch scope has.  The detail is comparable to a high resolution photograph.  The trouble is with a scope like this, when you've been using it for a while your expectations are much greater - and what you might have considered a good solar scope in the past just won't spin your wheels any more :smile:.

7 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I can vouch for Peter's scope, as a high power solar instrument it takes some beating.  The detail in 'small' prominences which would hardly be of note in a smaller solar scope take on a life of their own at higher power and with the resolution the six inch scope has.  The detail is comparable to a high resolution photograph.  The trouble is with a scope like this, when you've been using it for a while your expectations are much greater - and what you might have considered a good solar scope in the past just won't spin your wheels any more :smile:.

I can imagine... that sounds amazing to see.

4 minutes ago, paulastro said:

I was just going to suggest that you might join us at Kelling Heath Star Party in three weeks time as Peter takes this scope along - then I realised where you are located!  ?

Otherwise I'd be there... that solar beast would be great to see.

Archived