Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Troubles with the D3200

Max22

Excuse my ignorance for I am fairly new to astrophotgraphy. I recently go into astrophotgraphy when I rediscovered my Refracting telescope. I purchased a T-ring adapter for my Nikon D3200 and since the lens is not attached the image is a smudged black/grey. I use the camera in Manual and have played around with all different settings, but to no success. Am I missing anything important here? I have done my research and haven't been able to find an answer to this problem.

4F2D7298-5B56-48F6-B5F4-E0FE08F7FC9C.jpeg

64B0F758-D2D9-4417-8389-817CE2152CEA.jpeg

Hi Max,

I'm assuming your using a prime focus method (Camera body attached directly to the barrel or focuser).

As Peter said, most likely it's a focus issue. The focuser tube is not long enough to achieve focus. Then you need an extension piece.

As a test, can you work out an eyepiece projection method instead. That should bring focus to your camera.

Good luck

Bamo

IMG_3457.JPG

1 hour ago, Max22 said:

@PeterCPC during the day when the camera has only the adapter on the image is a smudge of color. If the camera is pointed at something bright it’s a bright smudge, vise versa for darkness. 

But try it attached to the telescope and see if you can get focus - I suspect not.

Peter

Hi Maxx22, when you are viewing an object with the telescope you have the length of the prism diagonal and your eyepiece to help bring the light to focus. When you are attaching the camera directly (you have removed the diagonal and eyepiece) unless the existing focus tube on the telescope is long enough you are likely to need an extension tube to allow you to similarly focus with the camera. I hope that makes sense.

Good luck with your imaging.

Cheers,
Steve

10 hours ago, Max22 said:

Is it normal for a DSLR to give out blurry images when no lens is installed, or do I have some sort of settings wrong? 

Hey Max,

Nothing is wrong yet with the settings. You just need to achieve focus. I had a maksutov so achieving focus with a DSLR was alright. 

Try an EP projection and it should be alright.

Here's a similar topic on another forum too

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/602382-problem-focusing-with-dslr-and-telescope/

Cheers,

Bamo

Personally I would have put the diagonal back in then your dslr and you might have found with the focuser racked right out you were nearing focus, and then ordered an extension peice. When it arrived swap the diagonal for the extension piece and tried again.

You might be interested in this thread it is members imaging with a similar mount.

Link here

The OP has a refractor and their focus experience is different to that of not reaching focus with a reflector and a DSLR.

Thanks to everybody who helped me out here, took a couple pictures of the moon and some of the stars. Do any of you have any recommendations for finding focus quicker, my method was trial and error, taking a picture the adjusting the focus.

DSC_0018.nef

59 minutes ago, Max22 said:

Thanks to everybody who helped me out here, took a couple pictures of the moon and some of the stars. Do any of you have any recommendations for finding focus quicker, my method was trial and error, taking a picture the adjusting the focus.

DSC_0018.nef

You need to convert and save the file as  .BMP .JPG , .JPEG or .PNG if you wish to include them in future posts. 

.NEF is the Nikon .RAW format.

Passing Nikon user here - I'm attaching a JPEG conversion of the above file.  Rather than trial and error focus, you could try "live view" on your D3200 - there should be a button for this on the back.  You can then see the image on the screen as you focus the telescope.  

Regards

Mark

DSC_0018.jpg

Archived