SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I own 2 scopes smaller than this finder!

Some of you in years gone by might have read some of the issues I was having with the balance point of my LZOS 180mm triplet Apo. Weighing 23kg as a barebones OTA, the balance point is only a few cm behind the lens cell. This meant I would be virtually on my knees when pointing at the zenith. As well as pier extension and a magnetic counterweight set, I also bought a hefty 80mm finder to shift more weight to the back of the scope so I could get of my knees. Looking at my new 130mm f/9 refractor which is almost as long and fairly front heavy, I think I will try it out on that scope as well. 

Its not bad optically, but it does make me smile to think I am using a finder which is larger in aperture than my Takahashi scopes. I am not sure my Taks would forgive me though if I used them as a finder!?

A standard 50mm finder in the pic for reference.

26F1BEE7-7FB5-4434-92A3-E9A5D79FA193.thumb.jpeg.884b369b3629b1c100b869a12486d517.jpeg

AD3937EE-8C36-4CA4-8794-2A8C6B7E4B14.thumb.jpeg.61285cad87c9bc721f3b4d49eab39a21.jpeg

I am am sure this will be the moment when some rocks up in this thread, and says that is nothing, I use a 120mm frac on my 20” Dob!

I have a WO66 as a finder on my 7" refractor, not quite 80mm but still a reasonable instrument in its own right. I figure that if you can afford the extra weight (and in your case need the extra) you may as well have a versatile second instrument on there. Like you I have a helical focuser so the "finder" is actually usable in other roles and I do use it quite often as a super wide field scope. With a 31 Nagler it has a well corrected 7 degree field of view which coupled with an OIII filter works really well for things like the North America nebula :)

My 6" finder is also not just for "show", it has several roles. Apart from being a finder, (the 16" has no goto), we use it to give visitors a comparison between different telescope types and apertures, we also fit a camera to the 6" to show images of the Moon and planets on a large screen which is much easier for the very young to see.   ?

Archived