Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_planets_winners.thumb.jpg.1ab3e59adfbb5bcbf9b3c4c48a434a6a.jpg

Astrokev

SW Esprit tube ring screw sizes

Hi All

Please can anyone tell me the screw/bolt size to fit the SW Esprit 100 tube rings?

I want to add another dovetail on the top of the rings.

I've read on another forum that they may be 1/4" but I'm not sure of the threads per inch. Also, can anyone recommend an online supplier that specifies sizes including thread per inch? I'm really struggling to find anything in my searches.

Many thanks

Kev

They don't usually bother specifying TPI, either 1/4" UNC  or 3/8" UNC of if fine UNF or if metric simply metric 6mm as metric fine isn't common.

Dave

Thanks Dave. What's the difference between UNC and UNF - sorry if this is a stupid question

Just now, Astrokev said:

Thanks Dave. What's the difference between UNC and UNF - sorry if this is a stupid question

As you said its the thread per inch, I think SW use UNC  ( C = coarse, F = fine ) but there is all sorts of confusion mostly caused by our American cousins refusing to adopt the metric system.

I have 2 identical sets of William Optic tube rings, one with metric threads and one with imperial threads.

Stainless steel bolts are pretty cheap so it's worth getting a selection of both sorts off E'Bay 

Dave

• Like 1

Ah yes, US resistance to being dragged into the modern era! Thanks again.

It would be helpful if anyone with an Esprit could confirm the size. Is 1/4 correct?

Let me check mine tonight Kev - I might even have a couple!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daz said:

Let me check mine tonight Kev - I might even have a couple!

Ooh! 🙂 

My 120 rings use 1/4" UNC bolts which are the same as a tripod screw, if you can screw in a tripod top, you can narrow down your search massively.

7 hours ago, rogmet said:

My 120 rings use 1/4" UNC bolts which are the same as a tripod screw, if you can screw in a tripod top, you can narrow down your search massively.

Thanks Rogmet 🙂 

Hi Kev

Yes 1/4" and I think they are UNC. I do indeed have a couple that I can send you - pm your address and I'll pop them in the post for you..

Cheers

Hi Daz

Thanks for checking and confirming. Awfully nice of you to offer to send some, but I now reckon I need quite a few, so have just placed an order on flea-bay. They're surprisingly cheap!

thanks again 🙂

cheers

No worries - have you got the link, as I may as well order some additional ones - you never know what the future holds :)

Cheers!

1 hour ago, daz said:

No worries - have you got the link, as I may as well order some additional ones - you never know what the future holds :)

Cheers!

Hi Daz

These are what I got and they're fine. I went for cap headed sockets - they do other styles also.  The length will obviously depend on what you want to attach and which tube-ring hole you want to use.  This site is pretty good - lots of different pack sizes etc. Hope this helps

cheers, Kev

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-Steel-UNC-Imperial-Socket-Caps-Allen-Bolts-1-4-x-3-4-10-Pack-/360177310426?hash=item53dc3d9ada