Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_comet_46p.thumb.jpg.9baae12eeb853c863abc6d2cf3df5968.jpg

azathoth

Need help getting started with observing dso on a budget

18 hours ago, azathoth said:

Hemmm just one opinion among several, the 130STL is a 130mm aperture. For visual observation with a Newtonian and with the goal of looking at DSOs specifically, many people will agree to say that aperture should be prioritized over Goto (Unless you can't carry anything more then a light small telescope because of health issues.)

Usually, with a Newtonian, it's recommended to start at a minimum aperture of 6" and more. I am not saying the Nexstar 130 is a bad choice, I am just throwing another option in, the manual 6" traditional Dobsonian, very popular, very reliable, it has no entry level electronics on it.

People have good results with it, it's not too expensive new and easily available second hand for much less then $500, you still have remaining money for a couple of eyepieces 😁

https://agenaastro.com/sky-watcher-6-traditional-dobsonian-telescope-s11600.html

Aperture and Easy for the Dob at 8"s a small stool will be all that's needed. A 8" Newtonian on an Eq mount will be alot of work and much less ergonomic by comparison, one has to rotate the ota as the target moves accross the sky to keep the eyepiece at a comfortable level unlock and lock axis clutches and the eyepiece hight even with the tripod legs not extended will be quite high adjustable chair may make it easier but yet another thing to keep ajusting as you move from one target to the next. I run a 6" Newt on an Eq 5 but only for objects like planets and comets objects that need long period observation or are more effected by atmospheric instability than dso then the tracking capabilities become worth the extra physical efforts, for dso there are many more target's so if this galaxy isent a good view move to that star cluster over there kind of thing. Dobs for Dso are hard to beat for their aperture and ease of use, Hope this helps 🙂

Edited by SIDO

On 08/08/2018 at 22:26, azathoth said:

It seems that the 8" dob is my best route, but my only difficulties will be manually finding objects, and I'm very inexperienced. I heard that it's possible to install a motor for finding dso' s or something related?

You can prepare yourself finder charts using planetarium software to show you the way. 

I used Cartes du Ciel to prepare these. Print them out, put them in plastic covers and use them with a red light at the telescope to see where your scope should be pointing, what you should see through your finder, and what you should see at the eyepiece. 

Every time you prepare one and use of these, you will be gaining experience and expertise that you may well miss if you simply use GOTO.

Example of my Finder Chart for M82 attached.

Finder VIew M82.PNG

Not sure what part of WV you're in, but as has been recommended, I wouldn't go with anything smaller than an 8". Especially in more light polluted areas. I personally have a 12" GoTo and I feel it's the right size for me. Some days I wish it were larger for better observation in more urban areas, but then I think if it were larger, it'd be more to haul around. GoTo isn't absolutely necessary, but it is certainly nice to have. If you don't have it, you'll force yourself to learn your way around the night sky and star hopping techniques which are great basic skills to have. There are numerous apps, books and other resources available to help you find your way around and locate objects. Learning those basic skills though are important to just about every amateur astronomer. There have been a few occasions when I want to look at something that's not in my hand controller catalog and I need to figure out how to find them. It's rare, but it does happen. I would say that if you're deadset on a GoTo, save your money until you can afford it. Otherwise, a manual will suit you just fine. Another option would be to go ahead and get yourself a manual dob now and then save up the cash to get a EQ mount and adapt your telescope to that. You could also buy an 8" Newtonian reflector that's already bundled with a manual EQ mount (exactly the same scope that's on a dob, just a different mount type) and then slowly upgrade it by putting a motor on it or buying a GoTo EQ mount. Benefit of a dob is they're easier to learn and use for beginners. Benefit of an EQ mount is they're more versatile and can be used for observation and astrophotography. Just something to think about if you're considering an 8" reflector.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Probably a stupid question...
      Heyyy soo i am a begginer and about to buy my first telescope.A Skywatcher 200 
      p. I ve just though of something , Since i know filters can be stacked i ve been wondering if i could take visual RGB filters and stack them.Specifically blue green and red in order to create a visual full colour image ,like photography. I know its probably a stupid question because people all over the world would have done this by now .But i m just curious. 

-Kronos
    • By SirHarveyXXI
      Hello all, my name is Harvey and I'm very new to astronomy. After countless hours of reading beforehand, I'd like to start off by saying I know I'm not expecting to see anything close to the pictures seen on the internet from telescopes like Hubble, but something doesn't seem to be right. I have a Celestron AstroMaster 76eq, this is quite a budget telescope due to the fact my budget is less than small. These are the specs:
      700mm Focal Length 76mm Aperture Focal Ratio of 9.21  2 lenses of focal length 10mm and 20mm I'm quite young, and I've been super interested in any and all things space, so obviously getting into astronomy was a definite for me. This is hopefully going to be a life long hobby I'm gonna take up, so any tips for the future are well and truly appreciated (alongside any tips at all to help me get started). Please bare with me, I'm trying to condense this down as much as I can. 😂
      I've done a lot of research into the telescope that I have, and I've read about many people being able to see deep space objects such as Andromeda's core. I have been able to see this (at least, I'm 99% sure) however, attempting to view other deep space objects (such as M1) proves to be difficult. I'm not entirely sure if this is due to me being unable to navigate the night sky effectively, if I'm doing something wrong or I'm expecting too much. I live in a fairly rural area in England with little light pollution, and when observing these deep space objects I make sure that I'm as far away from the light pollution as I can get. This leads on to my first question...
      How much of a difference does the humidity make? England generally has VERY high levels of humidity, and I'm wondering if this is going to make a huge difference to what I can see? I've never really seen the humidity to be less than 75%, so if it makes a huge difference I presume that I won't be able to view any deep space objects? That being said, should my telescope be able to see deep space object with this level of humidity amongst other viewing problems? I try my best to ensure (like I said earlier) that I can make the viewing conditions as optimal as possible where I can (i.e. not viewing objects in the direction of light pollution, making sure that I go out in low levels of cloud, making sure I observe objects as high up in the sky as I can etc). On the subject of the telescope itself... 
      How much of a difference does collimation make? Will it be the difference between seeing an object or not if the collimation of my mirrors isn't very good? Should a telescope of my calibre be able to make out the major details of planets? e.g. the ring of Saturn and the bands of Jupiter? Or am I expecting too much of my telescope? I have just ordered a 2x Barlow lens to bring me close up to the maximum magnification my telescope can realistically handle (140x), so I'm wondering if this will help me see these finer details or if Jupiter will still be merely a bright light? How much of a difference do filters make at lower magnifications such as 70-140x on planets such as Jupiter, Saturn or Mars? Are they worth the investment this early on or are they more of an investment to make later on? How important are high quality eyepieces? Are they worth the investment early on or later on? The problem with this is that eyepieces can get quite pricey and as I said before, I'm on a very low budget.  That being said, is the level of astronomy I'm after even possible on my budget? Will I be able to see deep space objects like M1 and other nebulae? By seeing them, I mean as blurry blobs, not detailed objects.  Terribly sorry for the masses of questions (of which I'm sure most of you will have seen a thousand times!), but I've been searching for a long time and haven't found many answers relevant to my situation. As I said, I'm very open to any suggestions, tips and recommendations! Thank you for reading! If there's any more information you need, ask me and I'll try my best to give you it! 
    • By Ziopliukas
      Hello there! I'd like to start off by saying that I'm completely new at this so please don't get mad if I seem ignorant or don't know things. I recently came across a recommendation to go stargazing with night vision and that seemed like a really cool experience so that's why I'm here now. I wanted to ask whether it's possible to do that while spending less than $100? Obviously since I'm only getting into stargazing I wouldn't need anything too amazing, but I'm wondering whether it'd be very bad with equipment for under $100 and would it instead be better to find someone to lend from.  If it is indeed possible to achieve something fairly decent for a beginner for under $100, what would be your recommendations? Thank you!
    • By DD4
      Hi everyone.
      sorry I know this has been asked and I've tried getting ideas from other posts but any advice would be greatly received. My husband has always had an interest in the skies and I would love to get him a telescope for Christmas. I really had no idea how confusing it would be! I'm hugely struggling with all the types of telescopes and different peoples views. 
      From searching through lots of sites and reviews the skywatcher explorer and skywatcher star travel seem to be good beginner scopes. Can any advise on these or other suggestions? I don't want to spend too much more than £100 (appreciate these are both more) and I was hoping for something he can add to over time if he wishes (other lenses, phone connector etc). I would prefer it to have its own tripod though read that many of these are flimsy. We live outside of London so sky's not always great but my parents are in cornwall so hoping to view there too. 
      Thank you for any help 
    • By ukuleledaveey
      Hello you wonderful people,sorry i have not been on here much lately,busy life and terrible cold/flu, i am considering purchasing a Barlow lense, and i would very much appreciate your thoughts and input, as a total newbie, i dont know very much, i know i want to get a 1,25 x2 barlow, but is it ok to buy a generic or should i buy a brand name and spend a little more, does it matter what i buy.
      I have seen them ranging from £6.00 upwards i was thinking of getting the celestron for about £25.
      Anyway thank you very much for taking the time to read and comment, best regards Dave.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.