NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heavy Duty AltAz mount

Odd Thomas

Following on from the thread 'SkyTee 2's big brother' I have made some progress. I had drawings done and have the first trial model of my very heavy duty Alt az mount made up. The mount itself weighs in at around 20kg so is very substantial. It uses roller bearings on the Alt axis and a crossed roller thrust bearing on the az axis. The main shaft is around 2 inches diameter. I had the heavy duty clamps made up similar to the ADM clamp but more meaty and with a hole pitch to bolt straight to the end of the shaft. I'm quite pleased with the first results in that it copes with my steel tubed, 6" f15 refractor like it wasn't there! I need to source, or have made up, thumbscrews for the alt and az axis friction controls and also I need to design an end cover for the main shaft lock nut. Both ends of the main shaft are drilled and tapped so 2 clamps can be fitted and one end is threaded to accept the counter balance shaft for really heavy scopes. I have had very good feedback from people seeing this mount, none of whom are astronomers, so would be very interested in your thoughts, especially how you think it could be improved or what you like or dislike about it. Cheers, Tom

1.jpg

8a.jpg

3a.jpg

9a.jpg

10a.jpg

Hi, I read your review before embarking on this journey, very enjoyable thank you. What does the APM use for friction for the axis? I'm thinking either a nylon tipped (or similar) thumbscrew with possibly a spring loading to keep the set pressure on.

The mount is as well engineered as I could make it given the restrictions. I would love to think it would be comparable in performance to the APM but I suspect at at a lot less cost.

Thank you. As this is a prototype, I made the counterweight shaft 1" diameter which will fit a standard weight plate. This will suffice for now. If I produce more then I will supply specific counterweights. 

That looks fantastic. Might look ultra-fantastic on a wooden tripid.  A few questions: any plans for slo mo controls or don't  you think they are necessary?  I see a lot of al-taz mounts these days don't have them. At 20 kgs it is obviously not a grab n go so I presume it will be a permanent set up. That being the case why go for al-taz instead of equatorial? What's on the telly in the corner? Can't quite make it out?

Hi Cletus, thanks for the feedback. The slow motions is something I’m considering, just not sure if they are necessary, I’ll do a bit more testing but it’s definitely on the possible list. I’m planning on getting a tripod pier made up to sit it on which will be supplied with the mount. As for alt az rather than eq.... I have eq mounts but find the convenience of an altaz mount to be unbeatable for a quick session and as all my scopes are long f ratio refractors I had to come up with something suitable at a reasonable cost. Don’t think the telly was on....just reflections. ?

Agree 100% . Altaz means far less faffing about. Got one myself and plonking it down, without having to worry about pointing north or whether Polaris is visible, is so simple. Good luck with the project. 

Thank you very much Jas, and everyone for the kind comments and positive feedback. I need to do a bit more field testing and I’ve identified a couple of changes to make, then hopefully I can have a batch made up. ?

Archived