Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planets too small

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

When you're near focus put a clothes peg on the focuser wheel and you'll instantly have finer control.

Depending on the dimensions of the particular scope/focuser a larger focuser wheel will also improve things. I 3d printed a "tyre" to fit around a small focuser wheel and it made such a difference I made a larger one for my dob too. 

This is my favourite subject - the regulars know what is coming.  This is my bespoke solution to a fine control focus wheel

IMG_4112a.jpg

My Bro made is for me out of a solid bit of aluminium and replaced one of my focus wheels with it.  He could probably be pursuaded to take commissions ?

13 hours ago, F15Rules said:

What brand and focal length of eyepiece are you using?

Assuming your scope is an 80mm F5 it has a 400mm focal length: so, if you want x80 magnification (sufficient to see Jupiter's 2 main bands and Saturn's rings) you need a 5mm focal length eyepiece, OR a 10mm with a 2x Barlow lens.

Many cheap 5mm eyepieces are rubbish, frankly, but something like a BST Starguider  or Explorer 5mm has decent eye relief and optics, and you should definitely see more detail through an ST80 class scope with an eyepiece like that?.

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-5mm-BST-Explorer-Dual-ED-eyepiece-Branded-Starguider

Dave

You're exactly right, it's a 400 mm foul length.  Thank you for the clarification on the correct eye-pieces to use for the bands on Jupiter.  on a side note, I live in Denver, where it almost never rains (it's dessert),and my T-ring and and adapter for connecting the camera to the scope arrived in the mail today.....and it's raining.

22 hours ago, JOC said:

This is my favourite subject - the regulars know what is coming.  This is my bespoke solution to a fine control focus wheel

IMG_4112a.jpg

My Bro made is for me out of a solid bit of aluminium and replaced one of my focus wheels with it.  He could probably be pursuaded to take commissions ?

:) Looks like a very upmarket version of my jam jar lid!

19 minutes ago, cv01jw said:

Looks like a very upmarket version of my jam jar lid!

It's probably the one bit of OCD in me - I don't like things to look 'bodged' I am quite certain a jam jar lid gets the same excellent result, but if I am going to solve a problem I much prefer having a solution that looks 'official' and I think Bro did a great job with that wheel  - it's got a thread inside it and fits on perfectly!

25 minutes ago, JOC said:

It's probably the one bit of OCD in me - I don't like things to look 'bodged' I am quite certain a jam jar lid gets the same excellent result, but if I am going to solve a problem I much prefer having a solution that looks 'official' and I think Bro did a great job with that wheel  - it's got a thread inside it and fits on perfectly!

I did go for a lid with a tasteful red and white gingham finish, to match the Bresser colours on the tube :) 

Archived