NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher tripod extension - near miss warning ?

Helen

Thought I'd share my near miss - as a warning!  

I had my azgti on the extension which comes with it on my berlebach tripod.  On the mount I had my zs72 with my Ha solar filter set.    I was carrying it in holding the pillar and the tripod when the extension came off the tripod.  Thankfully I grabbed the scope and narrowly avoided an expensive crash! (My hand will heal...).  

On investigation, the cause is clear.  The base of the extension is not flat, but raised around the edge, and so the central part where the screw hole is located sits above the surface. 

IMG_20180723_195433.thumb.jpg.a38ed7900b127afb1c4f17b51c863fce.jpg

This means that the screw on my tripod only actually engages half a turn.  The way I carried it stressed this and the end of the thread on the extension got stripped and the parts separated?

So... I suggest checking/taking care to ensure your connection is solid!

The mount itself is fine for direct attachment as its base is flat. 

I'll need a much longer screw!

Helen

Helen,

I have a different set-up but had similar concerns that could have led to the same result as you just had.

I have ordered a new 3/8ths threaded rod and star knob that will solve the problem. The star knob only comes in a pack of 5 so I will have spares that I planned to offer out to SGL members at cost of postage. When they all arrive I will let you know and you are welcome to one if you need it. You would need a threaded rod, but they are very cheap and available on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281106780177.

Derek

11 minutes ago, DRT said:

Helen,

I have a different set-up but had similar concerns that could have led to the same result as you just had.

I have ordered a new 3/8ths threaded rod and star knob that will solve the problem. The star knob only comes in a pack of 5 so I will have spares that I planned to offer out to SGL members at cost of postage. When they all arrive I will let you know and you are welcome to one if you need it. You would need a threaded rod, but they are very cheap and available on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281106780177.

Derek

Thanks Derek ?   My Berlebach has a sleeve between the knob and the underside of the tripod (I went for the knob rather than fixed screw as I thought it would be better), so tomorrow I'm going to experiment....  If it doesn't work, your solution sounds great!

Helen

2 hours ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

It only adds weight to the setup. 

To be fair, it does add enough height to stop a refractor from hitting the legs of the tripod so is quite handy to have. I use mine on a Gitzo tripod and it seems that the threads engage enough to be safe but I need to do some more checking first.

Thanks for the warning Helen, will keep an eye on this!

4 hours ago, Stu said:

To be fair, it does add enough height to stop a refractor from hitting the legs of the tripod so is quite handy to have. I use mine on a Gitzo tripod and it seems that the threads engage enough to be safe but I need to do some more checking first.

Thanks for the warning Helen, will keep an eye on this!

Im very undecided about it. Without it, my 102mm doesnt hit the tripod legs, but i have to extend them taller than i like to do.

Archived