Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M8/M20 LRGB

Rodd

The wait wasn't as long as I expected.  FSQ 106 with .6x reducer, ASI 1600 with Astrodon series E True Balance filters.  No Ha yet

Lum: 218 30sec

Red: 110 30sec

Green: 151 30 sec

Blue: 109 30sec

I found this very easy to over process and ended up backing way off.   There re allot of details to play with.  Not sure this is the final version, but I think I am on the right track.

LRGB-2ac3.thumb.jpg.e04ea532b7237748317382c3113d95fa.jpg

Beautiful. Glad to see that the Milky way is still there, in all its glory. We've been deprived if it for too long now.

Btw, it's probably the screen on my phone, but there seem to be some green patches in the image. Scnr would clean that up.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit:

The green is probably something caused by my phone screen. It doesn't show on my computer

8 hours ago, Demonperformer said:

Like it. Particularly the variation of colour and intensity within the lagoon.

Thanks DP--I was surprised at how much variation there was at this focal length

Rodd

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Beautiful. Glad to see that the Milky way is still there, in all its glory. We've been deprived if it for too long now.

Btw, it's probably the screen on my phone, but there seem to be some green patches in the image. Scnr would clean that up.

Thanks for sharing.

Edit:

The green is probably something caused by my phone screen. It doesn't show on my computer

Thanks Wim--I saw the green and tried SCNR and couldn't decide if it was better--it turned the trifid blue instead of tealish.  I think I went with SCNR at 50%.  I will hit it with the full measure.

Rodd

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Sorry didn't see this.  I don't pass off the phone screens (iphones/ipads) lightly--I think the images look best on these devices.  Maybe its a combination of screen resolution and small size.  When the images appear faulty on these screens I usually work to change that.    I will inspect carefully and see.  If the past is any indication I will be processing this image for the next few weeks anyway?

Rodd

8 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

Very nice Rodd. The Ha should really bring it to life.

I am not sure Richard.  Adding Ha to RGB has never worked well for me (except when I add Ha to Galaxies--there is a specific process for that).  In that case the Ha regions are distinct and separate.  I remember that Ha changed the palette of the cocoon, which I did not prefer.  But I would love to be able to use the structural details shown by Ha.  We'll see.

Rodd

23 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Wim--I saw the green and tried SCNR and couldn't decide if it was better--it turned the trifid blue instead of tealish.  I think I went with SCNR at 50%.  I will hit it with the full measure.

Rodd

You can always use it with a mask, to avoid the trifid.

Last one I promise......I tweaked histogram while protecting the stars--brought out more nebula in the region.  Might be a bit saturated now.  Not sure which I like.  I do like the extra extensions on M20 and the nebula extension to the left of M8. Ha would really boost the interspatial emissions.  Kinda neat that it is visible in red though.  As a last measure I dis remove what vestiges of green remained.  

LRGB-2ac3c-scnr3a.thumb.jpg.d3ef67b9b0f3de87cd24b74ada7b254e.jpg

5 hours ago, wimvb said:

You can always use it with a mask, to avoid the trifid.

Yeah--I have since used it as such.  The effect on the background and star fields is fairly subtle but I think better.  

Rodd

Archived