Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New gear / question

Hi fellow stargazers,

I've took another step towards AP and bought myself some new gear and got a question, but first the  shopping list:

1. APM cross-haired eyepiece 24mm 55° (substitute for my cheap SVBony one)
  2. APM illumination
  3. Skywatcher M48 DSLR adaptor
  4. Farpoint clamp Losmandy-style (2X)
  5. Baader T-ring adaptor Canon EF
  6. Canon 750Da  Baader BCF
  7. Bahtinov mask
  8. Omegon 2" nosepiece extension
  9. Skywatcher Evostar ED80 outfit
  10. Skywatcher Reducer ED80
  11. Clestron 11" Dovetail bar
  12. Celestron focal reducer
  13. Helical focuser for  9*50 guidscope

Foto's

IMG_6081.thumb.JPG.f2032c258ddc1ebb4646a318855b2020.JPGIMG_6082.thumb.JPG.626374d0512bb53e8200e19a99df7699.JPG

So, my question, i've mounted the helical focuser to the supplied 9*50 guidscope, but with the APM eyepiece (foto) i can't get focus.

I have determined that i need the eyepiece closer to the front lens, but already screwed the front lens of the guide-scope fully in and i'm still past focus, anyone who had a similar problem ?

Did not try with a camera yet...

Thanks !

Or the objective lens closer to the eye piece.

You could try removing the objective lens housing from the 9x50 and the locking ring, then replace the 9x50 objective lens housing without the locking ring in place, this may give you the extrea clearance you need.

Tim

6 hours ago, Cozzy said:

Or the objective lens closer to the eye piece.

You could try removing the objective lens housing from the 9x50 and the locking ring, then replace the 9x50 objective lens housing without the locking ring in place, this may give you the extrea clearance you need.

Tim

I've tried that, doesn't work, but thanks .

Anyway, in the mean time i know what the problem is , the focuser is meant for the angled version of the 50mm guidescope, unfortunately there was no clear mention of this when i ordered it.

I guess i should have known if i gave it a little more thought, i will be ordering the Evoguide ED 50 guidescope soon, and be done with it.

12 hours ago, newbie alert said:

You need more inward travel..need to get rid of the heli focuser and get the narrowest c to (48mm or 50mm) adapter...modern astromany one..use the front objective for focusing

Hi, that is a good idea, seems not very practical, focusing would be a pain i think, but doable.

Anyway, I already sent the focuser back, and will order a guidescope designed for the job.

But thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated !

11 hours ago, Miguel1983 said:

Hi, that is a good idea, seems not very practical, focusing would be a pain i think, but doable.

Anyway, I already sent the focuser back, and will order a guidescope designed for the job.

But thanks for your suggestion, much appreciated !

Focus once achieved won't change..still prefer my old skywatcher finder to my altair 60mm guider..

• 1 month later...

Quick update

i've bought a finder/T2 ring (as suggested by Newbie Alert) so i use the Rising Tech IMX178 camera now that i have, i still need to buy a T2 spacer  because i had to remove the stop ring from the front lens of the finderscope in order to get focus, but it works.

Next thing to do is get the proper parts to mount te guidescope on the top of the scope because i'm to back heavy with al the gear attached to the ED80.

I probably need to ad some extra weight on the front side too...

to be continued

• 4 months later...

Hi MIGUEL1983,

I am just trying to start into astro imaging, but don't want to spend loads as yet (until feel reasonably accomplished).

Other advice points me toward getting a reticle and I was wondering, for a beginner, if the svbony one you have tried is worth a thought, or better to wait until I can dive in for a better make. Wouldn't expect it to be brilliant, but is it a bit of money wasting junk?

Archived