The Cygnus Loop (2 Pane Mosaic)

It took me more than a week to get this to what it is. I found it quite difficult to blend 2 photos with different exposures and taken on different nights.
Good, bad, I don't know. I'm not 100% pleased with it but it will do for now.

The Cygnus Loop

Equipment used:
Eq3 Pro
TS65 quadruplet f6.5 imaging telescope
Canon 600D full spectrum modified
IDAS LPS-D1 2" filter
Qhy5 guide camera
9x50 finder-guider

Software used:
Eqmod, APT, Stellarium with StellariumScope, Astrotortilla, PHD2

Date: 5, 10, 11, 12 and 23.06.2018

The photo is a blend of 2 images shot over the course of 5 nights, 3 nights for the Western Veil and 2 nights for the Eastern Veil.

The Eastern Veil image (on the left) is the result of 5x150sec, 15x300sec and 12x600sec ISO800 exposures stacked and calibrated in DSS with 100 flat frames and 200 bias frames.

The Western Veil image (on the right) is the result of 10x150sec, 28x180sec, 22x300sec and 14x600sec ISO800 exposures stacked and calibrated in DSS with 150 flat frames and 300 bias frames.

The 2 images have been blended in Microsoft ICE and processed in Pixinsight (as much as I know of it) , Photoshop CC 2018 and Lightroom CC 2017.

1263045954_VeilNebula-Stitch-Ps.thumb.png.fd02660cc962667911fead7460b26dc7.png

1 minute ago, emyliano2000 said:

It took me more than a week to get this to what it is. I found it quite difficult to blend 2 photos with different exposures and taken on different nights.
Good, bad, I don't know. I'm not 100% pleased with it but it will do for now.

It looks great to me :thumbright:. Geof

Very nice image indeed. I would be well pleased. Apart from liking the image, I can see from your equipment that I could give this object a try one of these days. I have an APM 80mm F/6 triplet, which with a 0.8x focal reducer/flattener would give roughly the same FOV in my modded EOS 550D. I am not sure I can get it up to this standard, but I might give it a shot this summer.

Archived