Ascom..should I connect or not

Hi all

After making some headway in my first year at imaging today i decided to try and connect my heq5 to ascom with an rs232 lead.I have been using sharp cap to polar align,PhD for guiding with cable and Artemis capture with Atik 314 mono.I really hoped to use this for plate solving but having tried to connect it nothing seems to be working.Not sure if 232 cable connector  is wrong (it came with disk and then an error msg!).Finally I'm not sure if I want to hand over all control to a new system as I'm just getting to grips with sharp cap, phd and trying to remember how it all works for August.

Any advice on this much appreciated.

Craig

20180708_142701.jpg

20180708_142644.jpg

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On your handset you have to choose PC DIRECT MODE (if I've remembered rhe wording) it won't connect if you are using your handset otherwise. 

Make sure the com port on the pc is right. Just open devices go to USB ports and when you plug in the USB it will say port 5 or 4 (I'm assuming your using Eqmod. 

Hope that helps. 

The better way so that your going directly to your mount from the pc is this lead  

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Gerry 

1 hour ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

On your handset you have to choose PC DIRECT MODE (if I've remembered rhe wording) it won't connect if you are using your handset otherwise. 

Make sure the com port on the pc is right. Just open devices go to USB ports and when you plug in the USB it will say port 5 or 4 (I'm assuming your using Eqmod. 

Hope that helps. 

The better way so that your going directly to your mount from the pc is this lead  

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-mounts/lynx-astro-ftdi-eqdir-usb-adapter-for-sky-watcher-eq5-pro-heq5-syntrek-pro-az-eq5-gt-az-eq6-gt-and-eq8-mounts.html

Gerry 

Thanks Gerry..i definitely did not do that.Im not using Eqmod as I thought it wasn't made for Heq5.Im using a skywatcher driver manual I downloaded for Heq5 although it just occurred to me that since sharp cap uses plate solving for polar alignment it might work from a sub from a previous night.No idea how though.

Many thanks 

Craig

39 minutes ago, Craig123 said:

Thanks Gerry..i definitely did not do that.Im not using Eqmod as I thought it wasn't made for Heq5.Im using a skywatcher driver manual I downloaded for Heq5 although it just occurred to me that since sharp cap uses plate solving for polar alignment it might work from a sub from a previous night.No idea how though.

Many thanks 

Craig

No Eqmod is definitely for your mount too. If you get the cable download it and also cart du ciel then you will be connected much easier. That's how I do it. PC DIRECT mode works but it's not so stable. 

Gerry 

2 hours ago, Craig123 said:

Many thanks 

Craig

Once your setup with Eqmod you can use APT  , to connect to your canon assuming its a canon , apt has platesolving and once setup is a breeze , take a sub , solve and sync  https://ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

11 minutes ago, bottletopburly said:

Once your setup with Eqmod you can use APT  , to connect to your canon assuming its a canon , apt has platesolving and once setup is a breeze , take a sub , solve and sync  https://ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

Yes thanks..i have already downloaded APT so need to look at Eqmod and fit it all together.

Craig 

2 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

No Eqmod is definitely for your mount too. If you get the cable download it and also cart du ciel then you will be connected much easier. That's how I do it. PC DIRECT mode works but it's not so stable. 

Gerry 

Great..thanks Gerry.Much aporeciated.

Ive been using the cable in the handset mode for years now. I tried eqmod twice recently and it had a few issues so I packed it in and went back to the lead like you have. I hate losing imaging time. I have never set my handset to pc mode, in fact when I did it didn’t work.

If you can crack eqmod them go for it, I plan to try to sort it myself, but in the meantime I’m using the lead!

2 hours ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Gerry 

Just wondering..how does all the Ascom stuff I downloaded a while back work with Eqmod ? Do I delete all the Ascim drivers and start again with Eqmod or is it all part of the same system ?

12 hours ago, Craig123 said:

Just wondering..how does all the Ascom stuff I downloaded a while back work with Eqmod ? Do I delete all the Ascim drivers and start again with Eqmod or is it all part of the same system ?

No just leave the latest ascom drivers installed. They are made to work together. Don't delete anything :) 

Just install Eqmod put in your location data and then find the com port for the lead you hopefully will buy I suggested. Then connect. APT Eqmod Cart du Ciel (download this too) all work together. When you get it all together we can help get it all going but it's not hard. 

Gerry

15 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

No just leave the latest ascom drivers installed. They are made to work together. Don't delete anything :) 

Just install Eqmod put in your location data and then find the com port for the lead you hopefully will buy I suggested. Then connect. APT Eqmod Cart du Ciel (download this too) all work together. When you get it all together we can help get it all going but it's not hard. 

Gerry

Thanks again Gerry..had a quick read b4 work about Ascom and Eqmod.You have convinced me its the way to go now and i'm looking forward to the darker skies again that bit more.The lead in the link has a usb but my understanding is the com port is the 9 pin port on my laptop so i would still need another connector for this to work.sorry if ive got a little muddled here.

27 minutes ago, Craig123 said:

Thanks again Gerry..had a quick read b4 work about Ascom and Eqmod.You have convinced me its the way to go now and i'm looking forward to the darker skies again that bit more.The lead in the link has a usb but my understanding is the com port is the 9 pin port on my laptop so i would still need another connector for this to work.sorry if ive got a little muddled here.

No on your laptop it will connect direct to the USB port. The other leads you are currently using to connect to the handset will not be used anymore. Just one lead to your mount (where the handset plugs into the mount) to your laptops USB port. 

Of course you I'll need to buy the lead I suggested. 

Gerry

37 minutes ago, Craig123 said:

If you buy this lead

It will plug right into your handset controller socket on your mount and the other end into the USB of your laptop so just one lead. You won't use your handset anymore.

IMG_2024.thumb.PNG.df6e4bfc0cdbe3d07eb935c1703307e5.PNG

16 minutes ago, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

If you buy this lead

It will plug right into your handset socket and the other end into the USB of your laptop so just one lead. You won't use your handset anymore.

IMG_2024.thumb.PNG.df6e4bfc0cdbe3d07eb935c1703307e5.PNG

Great stuff..much appreciated.

I started about 7 months ago and got the NEQ6. Got the EQDIR cable/EQMOD and downloaded all the drivers etc. All worked a dream. Dead easy to setup, maybe a little bit of trial and error :)  lots of walkthroughs on YouTube and Google! Suggest writing down exactly what you do each time so you get the process down. Can setup everything in the day to test and get used to. I have a couple of sheets that I have laminated for each procedure. Got used to it now but really helps as you will always be trying something new so not having to remember everything every time you set up really helped me :) Good Luck!

3 hours ago, Z3roCool said:

I started about 7 months ago and got the NEQ6. Got the EQDIR cable/EQMOD and downloaded all the drivers etc. All worked a dream. Dead easy to setup, maybe a little bit of trial and error :)  lots of walkthroughs on YouTube and Google! Suggest writing down exactly what you do each time so you get the process down. Can setup everything in the day to test and get used to. I have a couple of sheets that I have laminated for each procedure. Got used to it now but really helps as you will always be trying something new so not having to remember everything every time you set up really helped me :) Good Luck!

Thanks.I have started making notes as there's a fair few steps before you can sit back and let the gear do its stuff.Good to know you got it up and running fairly easily.

On 09/07/2018 at 09:50, Gerry Casa Christiana said:

Gerry

Hi Gerry..back again.

I got the cable you suggested and downloaded Eqmod and cart du ciel to my laptop.I had a go at setting up last night.When I plug in the cable nothing comes up as recognising a connection.When I run a search for Eqmod I get what appears to be a small interface like the one in the manual that flashes on and off but is not functional in any way.Have you any work arounds on this.Just tried again thus a.m.

Many thanks

Craig

My workflow with an EQdir cable is:

Set up mount with scope and polarscope roughly pointing at polaris.

Switch on mount and manually polar align with polarscope using Polarfinder as a guide.

Startup EQmod and connect.

When main screen appears, unpark mount. Start sidereal tracking, connect bluetooth game controller and set adjustment rate to 3.

Start up Cartes du Ciel, connect telescope and slew to a bright star  in the hemisphere I want to image (e.g. Lyra).

Use controller and finderscope, then focus camera using preview screen and bhatinov mask and also centralise target star. Probably change to rate 2 for final adjustment.

Repeat (without refocus) for 2 to 3 more stars spread across the visible area, pointing accuracy should be pretty good by the last star.

Slew to a relatively low down star.

Start up PHD2 and connect mount and guide camera.

Start looping and focus guide camera, choose a suitable star then force calibration. Guiding will start, so stop it.

Slew to a bright star near target to check alignment and focus.

Slew to target and take a test shot or two. May still be too bright to detect target, I find Stellarium is much better than CDC for checking my alignment with teh target and framing as it does a better job of simulating what you will see on the camera.

Tweak framing if required.

Go to PHD2 and start guiding.

Fresh battery in camera, connect camera cooler and start auto timer.

While waiting for camera to cools and skies to darken check PHD2 traces for any problems and tweak settings if required.

By now you should have some images on the camera to check everything is OK.

Wander off and go  on SGL, aside from half-hourly checks for caught wires, lost guide stars, target out of view, clouds etc. Retarget/change camera batteries as required.

When finished make sure you park the mount and disconnect CDC and EQmod properly, this will help make sure your first slew next time will be near the target.

1 hour ago, Craig123 said:

Hi Gerry..back again.

I got the cable you suggested and downloaded Eqmod and cart du ciel to my laptop.I had a go at setting up last night.When I plug in the cable nothing comes up as recognising a connection.When I run a search for Eqmod I get what appears to be a small interface like the one in the manual that flashes on and off but is not functional in any way.Have you any work arounds on this.Just tried again thus a.m.

Many thanks

Craig

Before running EQAscom run Setup EQascom. Use this to input location info and the com port number for the EQdir cable.

35 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

My workflow with an EQdir cable is:

Set up mount with scope and polarscope roughly pointing at polaris.

Switch on mount and manually polar align with polarscope using Polarfinder as a guide.

Startup EQmod and connect.

When main screen appears, unpark mount. Start sidereal tracking, connect bluetooth game controller and set adjustment rate to 3.

Start up Cartes du Ciel, connect telescope and slew to a bright star  in the hemisphere I want to image (e.g. Lyra).

Use controller and finderscope, then focus camera using preview screen and bhatinov mask and also centralise target star. Probably change to rate 2 for final adjustment.

Repeat (without refocus) for 2 to 3 more stars spread across the visible area, pointing accuracy should be pretty good by the last star.

Slew to a relatively low down star.

Start up PHD2 and connect mount and guide camera.

Start looping and focus guide camera, choose a suitable star then force calibration. Guiding will start, so stop it.

Slew to a bright star near target to check alignment and focus.

Slew to target and take a test shot or two. May still be too bright to detect target, I find Stellarium is much better than CDC for checking my alignment with teh target and framing as it does a better job of simulating what you will see on the camera.

Tweak framing if required.

Go to PHD2 and start guiding.

Fresh battery in camera, connect camera cooler and start auto timer.

While waiting for camera to cools and skies to darken check PHD2 traces for any problems and tweak settings if required.

By now you should have some images on the camera to check everything is OK.

Wander off and go  on SGL, aside from half-hourly checks for caught wires, lost guide stars, target out of view, clouds etc. Retarget/change camera batteries as required.

When finished make sure you park the mount and disconnect CDC and EQmod properly, this will help make sure your first slew next time will be near the target.

Awesome this will be really helpful thanks.When I connect the mount to Pc I then have to run a search for Eqascom..and I just get what looks like a small nterface on the top left flashing on and off.Too quick to ebmven catch what it says.So in stumbling at the first block.

Any ideas  on what's happening.Tbh I'm just connecting the mount without the finder guided to see if it aknowledges the connection or brings up Eqmod.

Craig

28 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Before running EQAscom run Setup EQascom. Use this to input location info and the com port number for the EQdir cable.

Thanks..so far I haven't seen the set up  Ascom link so I will have another look this afternoon.

Archived