Getting started with solar imaging

I'm contemplating starting solar imaging and due to the seriousness /dangers I'm trying to research what's the best avenue for me. I'd like to image surface details and proms. The camera I'll be using will be my qhy5L-ll guide camera or my qhy183c, whichever will work best.

I was very interested in spikey's lunt Ls35 but for me to collect would have been a 6 hour round trip plus it's under offer now.

My next thought is a daystar quark eyepiece, but don't know if I'd be able to use it with my WO star71 or if the scope would sustain any damage by pointing it at the sun without any protection apart from the quark at the rear end. 

I'm currently saving for a skywatcher esprit 100ed, would this be a safer/ better option with a quark? 

Or would having a dedicated solar scope prove more successful? 

As I'm not made of money I'll only be able to purchase one item at a time with several months, maybe a year in-between each. 

I await your insight and knowledge. 

Thanks

a quark would be fine with almost any doublet achro as long as you a all metal focuser and a ir/uv cut off filter screwed into your wedge upto 120mm, it carnt be use with an scope which has a extra lens in the focuser without a front mounted ERF " energy rejection filter". charl.

IMHO I'd say a dedicated solar scope would be the way to go if you want to image prominences and good surface detail.

Having a dedicated solar scope will eliminate all confusion and dangers associated with solar imaging and observation.. especially observation....

I have a SolarMax II scope and it showed me many great features on the Sun, as well as enabled me to get great images too... and as a added bonus I know that every time I put my eye on the eyepiece it wont burn a hole in the back of my skull because I forgot something...  

If you want to do white light solar observation or imaging than any cheap ND5 solar film at the front of any regular scope will be enough, It emits 99.999999% of the solar radiation before it enters you scope so there is no dangers there either as long as you inspect the film covering the objective.

A Quark is perfectly safe in a modest sized refractors (indeed with metal focuser, not plastic). I have recently gathered that they are even safe in most Petzval designs (with built in flatteners).  I have a SolarMax-II scope, and it is very nice, but my Quark-like Solar Spectrum filter with Baader TZ-4 tele-centric lens is definitely a notch above that.  I am thinking of selling my SolarMax-II and replacing it with a Quark for this reason

A Quark is an excellent route to larger as aperture Ha observing and imaging. The beauty is that you can stick it in a variety of scopes to different effect e.g. use a small, short focal length scope for full disk views or a larger aperture for higher resolution views/images. Bear in mind that the Quark has a built in x4.2 Barlow so using too long a focal length will give too much power.

I was very impressed by Derek's Quark in his 152mm f5.9 scope. Lovely views.

Thanks for all the advice so far. 

I'm struggling to understand why a quark is around the same price as an entry level dedicated solar scope though.

Are they that much better?

I don't think the star 71 has and plastic in it. 

15 hours ago, geordie85 said:

I was very interested in spikey's lunt Ls35 but for me to collect would have been a 6 hour round trip plus it's under offer now.

Sorry fella, that was me, it should arrive in the post this morning. I've not owned a Quark, but have owned both the Lunt 35 B600 Deluxe and a PST in the past and feel they are a safe and simple way into both imaging and observing. Put up a wanted ad for either, you should be able to pick one up for around 400. One note though, if it's a PST make sure it has a blue lens, not orange (dreaded rusted lens issue from early models).

Archived