Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Fantastic nights observing

Pig

A great night last night  ? I managed to see many doubles by simply pointing my scope toward the zenith and using SkySafari to hop about . I was quite surprised just how much darker it was in this area of the sky and just how much better I could see targets like the double double, finding it generally easier to resolve tight doubles. I also found the 17mm Morpheus to be more user friendly when seated, I now know why the folk that have one really like them and I found it very comparable to the 17.3mm Delos, some great coloured stars could be seen. My three amigos (4mm TOE, NZ and the 2.4 Vixen HR) all performed fantastically on the main planets and all the doubles, I am so pleased I have them ?

I managed to position my set up in such a way to ensure I was completely comfortable whilst seated at the eyepiece, this arrangement made a huge difference to my enjoyment of the session, the eyepiece was at the perfect height throughout so I was not over stretching. In fact I was so comfortable that I hadn’t realise over 5 hours had passed by ? if I can remember again how to download the targets from Sky Safari I will post the list of targets I observed. Oh yes..... I was also lucky enough to see the most wonderful meteor shoot past at about midnight in the general direction of Jupiter, very spectacular indeed ?

2 hours ago, kerrylewis said:

Well done Shaun. After a day out I was too tired last night to stay up.

There is  doubt that being seated makes a big difference if the angles and everything are right! My @swamp thingchair has had a lot of use on the planets lately 

Kerry, I think being seated makes me more stable ? and thus the head is .... I can’t even blame wine ? as I haven’t had any for so long now.

Great report, Shaun. I love my observing chair. Being comfortable at the eyepiece makes a big difference to how much I can see. I’m much more inclined to stick with a target and search out as much detail as possible when seated. My observing chair is a £15 bargain off ABS :) 

That’s a long old session Shaun, hope no work today! :)

Observing chairs are a relatively recent addition for me. I’ve had one (actually two!) for quite a while, but only started using it properly a year or so ago. Much more comfortable given my back, particularly if, like you last night, you are observing in a similar area or sky, or similar altitude. My Jupiter observing has all been done seated and it makes a big different to what you see. 

Neil / Stu, I have only recently stopped using my stool as I have been extending the legs of the tripod fully but it makes using high powered eyepieces rather tricky for me, I’ve decided to only extend the legs of the tripod half way and remain seated ?

Stu the session was a nice one but it was on Saturday night so no work worries..... but I do have to go to work now ?

Archived