Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

problem with tiff file

I tried out the ZWOASI224 camera along with firecapture last night so I have ended up with a load of tiff files from a timelapse, trouble is the only programme i can open them in is pixinsight and I cant seem to figure out how to batch convert them or seve them. I have tried photoshop, photoscape, irvanview, nothing reads them except pixinsight all I want to do is convert them so i can run it through startrails, help

oooh think they may be TIF,  Its that frustrating part where you bang you head on the wall, I just clicked capture as tif rather than AVI or jpeg as I just presumed it would have more dynamic range.  are they useless now then? dont see much point in having that option if nothing opens them

15 minutes ago, brrttpaul said:

oooh think they may be TIF,  Its that frustrating part where you bang you head on the wall, I just clicked capture as tif rather than AVI or jpeg as I just presumed it would have more dynamic range.  are they useless now then? dont see much point in having that option if nothing opens them

This happens with me when I use GIMP. I just rename them and they open up ok. 

I have just had a quick look at firecapture and I cannot see where you set it to create tiff files.

In the settings page for image formats, it lets you create bmp  jpg or fits files.

A fits file is not a misnamed tif file, it is a totally different format that is astro specific.

You can download software called FitsLiberator to process it and if needed convert to a tiff file.

Tony

Soon as I read this I went straight out to check and your right its fits file, I feel so stupid and can only blame it on lack of sleep and long day, (could have sworn it said tiff) . Thanks very much everyone . going to look for a bag to put over my head now. EDIT downloaded fits liberator but can only do one file at a time is there anyway to do multiple files?

(PixInsight has FITSFileManager. It's under Scripts --> utilities)

In Windows: open the command tool (search "cmd")

go to the directory with the images and enter

ren *.tiff *.fits

(note the spaces) Or replace the extension (tiff, and fits) with any other extension. Mind you, this only changes the file extension, it doesn't do any conversion. This command will change all the files that have the extension .tiff, to extension .fits

12 minutes ago, wimvb said:

PixInsight has FITSFileManager. It's under Scripts --> utilities)

In Windows: open the command tool (search "cmd")

go to the directory with the images and enter

ren *.tiff *.fits

(note the spaces) Or replace the extension (tiff, and fits) with any other extension. Mind you, this only changes the file extension, it doesn't do any conversion. This command will change all the files that have the extension .tiff, to extension .fits

1 hour ago, brrttpaul said:

Hmm I am pretty sure I got rid of it when i changed cameras, I wonder if I still have the disc

PixInsight also has a Batch format conversion tool under Script which will do what you want, I forgot about that when I read your original opening post.

917968650_PixinsightBatchConvert.thumb.jpg.ab6ba088ce5f9ac00e0c3bc9f7f8fb06.jpg

Archived